Friday, August 02, 2013
Give me a pillow and blankie… and a stenographer

Many a night, as I am going to bed, I will go over things I need to do coming up. I run checklists—I like checklists. I make mock-agendas. I get things started. Hell, if I have a blog post due in a few days, I will sometimes even (in entirety) write it out in my head. To me, it’s thorough, sharp and witty and best of all complete. The only problem, I can’t remember 95% of it the next morning. Most times, I can’t even remember the topic(s). This has also happened with scenes for books too. It totally sucks not having any recall of any of it.

Having said that, it could be that as I am falling asleep, my lists, agendas blogs or scenes may not *actually* make as much sense as it *seems* to in the moment. I think I’ve mentioned before that I have very vivid dreams and I remember quite a bit about them (much to the discomfort of my hubby—he is uber-creeped out by this because he doesn’t remember his at all). As I try to recall these pre-sandman writings, they rebuild in my head for a moment and then as I try to recreate it… *poof* … either it goes blank or it shifts and makes little to no sense.

Nights like this I wish I had an audio recorder. I always wonder if I can dictate it out—quickly enough so I don’t wake too much. I think once I’ve woken just enough the “spell” has worn off and my brains goes back into everyday-overload and that gets pushed to the far regions. I will say, I have tried jotting down notes. One time, I made somewhat cryptic notes and I thought, “There’s no way I won’t remember what I mean…” It took me nearly a month of puzzling it out before it finally dawned on me what/why I wrote down.

I bring this up now, because Sunday night, I had TWO ideas, TWO whole blog posts and as of yet, I can’t even recall the slightest germ of the idea. Does this happen to you? Do you have those just-before-sleep thinks that are brilliant and firm at the time and go away by your next waking moment? If you could remember them, would they still be just as brilliant (in other words, is it worth trying to wrack your brain to remember?) Have you done anything to help you remember? So far, I’ve had zero luck… but I will keep trying!