Friday, March 22, 2013
Binge reading

Every now and again I get on a reading binge. It’s almost compulsive. I will read a really good book and then can’t seem to get enough reading—I have to start a knew book almost the moment I put done the one just finished. I mentioned last week that I read the first two books in the ALL SOULS TRILOGY and really liked them. Since then, I have finished three other books and have a quick, easy TBR pile waiting.

I will say it’s not just “any” books that I read when I get in a binge. I will often grab books I know I can finish quickly (usually category books). Every now and again, I will throw in a book that I may have already read so I can skim parts and still get the story and to the end. I don’t know why I do this. And it doesn’t usually last longer than a week or two (I should be coming to the end of this most recent binge).

I suppose it’s similar to food binging, though with less of the side-effects, unless you count the paper cuts and bleary eyes from staying up too late reading. I couldn’t tell you what the psychology is of it, just that it triggers from time to time and then it fades as quickly as it came.

Do you ever get into binge reading? Do you know what triggers it? Do you have a special set of books or genres you read if you do binge out? Lastly, do you care to solve the problem or do you happily muscle through until it fades for this round?