Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Milestones and Thanks

This year has been a weird and wild year... and when I say “year” I think in terms of school year. Once my kids get out of school, I think (and hope) I will have “normal” years, but until the... Everything this year seems a little bittersweet as my oldest is a *gasp* senior. Every event, holiday or family tradition we cross I can’t help but wonder how things will be different during the next one. It really cemented it home this past week when his (godly expensive) senior pictures came in and then he and I sat down and filled out his first ever application to college.

*Sniff-sniff* How do they grow up so fast?

And despite what he and his brothers tease me about: How old I am, I am not all weepy and sad because I’ve aged (because frankly unless someone knows me well enough, I can tell them I am any age—and have no qualms—whether they believe me or not) I am so not worried about the decade I am in. No I get teary eyed now and again because he’s almost 18. It’s just weird and a little bit heartbreaking to think of how our lives will change when our oldest pup leaves the litter. I won’t get to see him every day. I won’t get to razz him about his unkempt beard or his ever-long hair (down to the middle of his back now). When I have a silly quip about someone in the entertainment world, my mocking-bubby won’t be right there to listen. 

Don’t get me wrong, I know I will have to let go and let him spread his wings. And he needs it. He’s a little on the shy side and little too into his own thoughts so getting out into the world will be good for him. But it will take me a damned long time to get used to it. I supposed that, maybe with the applications going out now and preparing for graduation and the likes will make it less of a jolt to my system when it comes to be. (But it’s still gonna suck!) And often I feel like I may end up having to apologize to my MIL for all her smothering, because I fear I may be the same as her with my boys.

Thanksgiving and Christmas (with his birthday in between) will be a little more special. I may end up hugging him a little longer or a little harder (no matter how much he protests). I suppose it shouldn’t take the thought of him leaned home to make me love on him a little more. I will end hugging on all his brothers a little more this year.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I hope you have your family around to hug on all you want (or can stand). Take a moment to cherish the time with the ones you love. And eat a whole bunch or turkey and carbs—loads and loads of carbs. I know I will!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ~

Turkey day