Saturday, September 01, 2012
Name collector

What’s your name... It’s a question I actually think of. A lot. And when I hear a name I particularly like, I hang onto it. Okay so maybe that sounds strange, but writers are a strange breed. Quirkiness is quickly forgiven. Right? It’s not really as weird as it may sound, though. Writers need names for their characters and you can’t just slap on any old Smith, Jones or Nowitzki (I am still still holding out to get Dirk’s name fictionalized in a book). The names have to fit the person, the mood and the genre.

I will admit, when I very first set out to novel writing, I used my high school year book to come up with names. Not very original sure, but in my defense I was preggers with number 4 boy and my brain was functioning on fumes some days so to have even gotten the book(s) down that I did... Then I went through my baby book and used family names—if you’ve read my books and saw Troutman, Harper, Stamford, or Bennett those last names are maternal maiden names of my gmas and ggmas.

And don’t get me started on the first names. My kids—used ‘em all in various forms (male and female). My BFFs, of course. Every brother (I sadly have no sisters) and cousin has been enlisted as well as BILs and SIL. I’ve used my niece and nephew’s names a couple of different ways. And for some strange reason, one of the dh’s cousins, I think I have used his name in 3 published books before I realized I was reusing his name...DOH! Then I moved on to the neighbors names...

Again, when I hear a name, I always file it away for later use. When the boys bring home new friends, I quiz them on names. Sometimes I get a suspicious look—I think they think I’m gonna look them up in their yearbook or on Facebook or something—like I am *that* stalkerish (Okay, so I have once or twice before; but you date my son, that’s what you have to look forward too..hehe)

Stalking aside, I still like to get a hold of names. I like to have a list ready to go when I start working on something even though the fit has to come a little more organically—like I said, you can’t just slap on any old name. I’ve even had a story where the name came first, then the character formed around him and blamo, a story worked it’s way into my head. Names are an important integral part of any book. So if I know you, you’re on my list...