How Zen are you? Me, not so much—or at least Zen-in-progress. I am one BIG ball of stress and worry most of the time. I have been since I was a little girl; at 10-y-o I was on the fast track to getting a stomach ulcer because I was so stressed. That’s pretty sad for a 4th grader! At the time, they taught me and my mom “calming” techniques and I know there was some weird pill but I didn’t get them often. I suppose whatever my mom did at the time worked; I never have gotten an ulcer.
It’s lucky that I am ulcer-free still...I am what you would call a worrywart! There isn’t an issue that I haven’t fretted over (some aren’t even mine). No this is not bragging. I have heard of those breathing and meditative exercises, but have never even considered delving into them. I don’t think they will work: case in point, during Lamaze with my first son, they played these relaxation tapes trying to get us to center our energy. Those made me angry. Don’t know why, but hearing “visualize the energy going from you head and out through your toes...” did not mesh with me.
However...recently I have found my own little piece/peace of Zen of sorts. Last summer we took the boys to Galveston. The house we rented was a block from the beach (and the only thing that separated us was a grassy field). I would sit out on the porch, listen to the the waves and read my book. (I think I got 2/3rds through the book I took with me)
Cut to last month, going to Hawaii and just being still and listening to the birds and the waves (and lets be honest lots and lots of cars—traffic on Waikiki Beach strip is RIDICULOUS!) It have a Zen like state to it. Once we got back from there, every morning I would open the back door—to let the dogs out—and just let in the fresh air until it got hot enough to kick the A/C on. Later in the day, I would got and sit out on the patio—hot or no. Over the past month, I have clocked in some good patio time!
I think the fresh air and the moments of solitude are definitely helping keep me a little more Zen. I’d like to say I have learned how not to sweat the small stuff...but, lets be real. I am taking baby steps, though. I will keep up the patio-practice as long as the weather allows and maybe this time next year I will have cut even more of the stomach-twinge moments. Again, baby steps.
I will say there is a huge difference between not doing anything—I can be lazy with the best of them—and being “still”. Your body, your brain, everything. It all needs a rest to find an inner stillness that lets you center yourself.
How Zen are you? Do you get a little wired when something is not right and can’t find that peace? Are you laid back and as long as it’s not life threatening it’s all good?

AVAILABLE NOW
NOW AVAILABLE
NOW AVAILABLE
NOW AVAILABLE
NOW AVAILABLE
AVAILABLE NOW
NOW AVAILABLE
NOW AVAILABLE