Wednesday, May 30, 2012
want to—get back in the saddle
mom on RustyIt has been close to twenty years since I’ve been on a horse. Not since just before or just after I got married (it’s been so long, I can’t even remember when…). And I do miss it, so very much.  I think that might have been part of why I gravitated toward writing the books with a western feel (that and cowboys are totally hot! … but I digress…) I like to have horses in my books.
Sure, there’s an “expected” level of the *country* feel in a western/cowboy book—so you’re probably thinking having a horse is a given. And you’re right, but it’s so much… more. In a western, you’ve got your ranch or farm and the animals that go with it. And for that reason, I’ve never really given much thought to a horse not being there. 04/30/2012Just like if you write about the suburbs you’ve got a house, a yard and probably some sort of transportation for work. In the western, sure there is a need for a truck, tractor or large farm equipment, and while the horse is the transportation, too, he/she is also the friend and/or sometimes the sidekick; as much a character as the neighbor or a sibling.
And yet, I would never call a horse a pet. Something with that much intelligence and beauty is far more than a mere pet!4/30/2012 And let’s not get started on the old stereotype of every little girl wanting a “pony”—I thought that was a weird generalization growing up, granted I had one… so, I am ever slightly biased.
Still, despite the allure of the equine mystique, I have known people who are afraid of horses, won’t go near them for anything. This, I don’t know how it’s even possible. Horses have the warmest brown eyes and the softest, velvety nose—makes you just want to smoosh your face into them, tell them all your secrets and just hug and hug… My 10yo will (and has) walk right up to a horse, stick his hand out for the prerequisite sniff then pet ‘til the horse gets tired (or realizes he has no food).
And speaking of saddles… Smile with tongue out  my granddad had a couple of the most beautiful saddles I’ve ever seen. None were overly ornamental, but the leather work—a lot of time and effort went into them. He had this one black saddled with red roses tooled onto the stirrups and on the back. It was gorgeous! He also had a tan saddle that was pretty in its plainness—sure he had plain functional saddles that were for everyday use, but this one was different. You could tell just by looking at it that the leather was of better quality and was seldom used. But enough about that…

I guess riding a horse is something I need to add onto my repeat-bucket list (stuff I’ve done and want to do again). I’d love even more to have one, but that would require moving and we have (two) college tuitions coming up the next two years so… while that WILL go on my regular bucket list, it is unfortunately close to the bottom.
Do you ever get to ride? Do you enjoy it or is it just a function of your everyday life and you don’t give it much thought? Or maybe you’ve never been but can’t wait (if so, are you planning on it soon)? Maybe you’re inspired to add riding horses to your bucket list. I can tell you, it’s totally worth it and I hope you get to check it off someday soon!