Friday, September 09, 2011
I love to plot
But I’m not a plotter per se. I like to think of myself as a Ploster-a cross between an Pantser (somewhere who writes by the seat of their pants, with very little plot) and a Plotter. I do like to have the bare bones of a story, often a few major points or key interactions and I just run with it. That’s about it for me. Anything more than that and I get bored and don’t want to work on the book. Sure, I do write myself into a hole every now and again, but it’s a challenge worthy of competition.

Having said that, I love to plot. Sounds like a contradiction huh. Let me explain. I love to help my critique partners plot out their stories. I love to help construct their worlds, be it contemporary and we’re filling in the blanks of what’s what or even a fanciful other world and the minute details that make their worlds real and believable (okay, I can get hung up details at times, but still.).

What I really love is to plot the back story of my characters-before I write the book. I may not go through the extensive plotting devises some author use with thick character bios or questionnaires. But I could probably tell you what they were like as a kid. I could tell you what they felt growing up. To me it is what makes them who they are at the beginning of the book, makes them react the way they do and feel what they feel.

I love knowing those intricate details. Then when I do inevitably write myself into a hole, and my CPs are throwing suggestions out at me, I can say, “No they wouldn’t do that because.” I have plotted out the “before the book” person.

And don’t get me started on the, “that would make a great book.” that’s even more fun Winking smile