Even though I live in Fort Worth, it has suburbs like any other place; my neighborhood you go one way there's Wal-Mart, 3 or 4 7-11s and the likes. The other way, however, are cows and a half-dozen horses. Two miles up more and every other house has acreage and horses. And I love that. I love that on the way to major high-end shopping area (Southlake for those who know the area) we pass the expected animals even some buffalo and believe it or not a camel.
I'm sure other cities have cows, buffalo and maybe even a camel, but it's not the Fort Worth area. In my neighborhood, I still have rabbits and coyotes (tho mixed feelings about those, especially when you hear the circle of life in the middle of the night). Our trees are getting to the point where we're just now getting squirrels. And even though our school disctric has FOUR high schools, my area of town feels a little like a small town and I think that's why I like to use small towns. You run into neighbors wherever you go. A familiar face in the car next to you on the road. Good, bad or slightly claustrophobic it's your home town.
I am getting ready to start working on a new book and am trying to figure out "the town". Small or big. Fictional or real. One way or the other it will be based on my home area. It will have cows, horses and maybe a buffalo or camel or three.