Sunday, February 13, 2011
TALK TO ME COWBOY
I have met my fair share of cowboys (Hell, I live in Fort Worth, you go down to Exchange Street and you can’t sneeze without one saying, “Bless you.”). It always give me the warm and fuzzies (and maybe a little bit of the tingly and zippies) when I hear, “ma’am” or “Darlin’” with just the right amount of twang and courtesy. I tell you, I could melt right there—and that’s just in passing so could make for an awkward moment at the grocery store or the DMV.

You get me in a full-on one on one conversation with a jeans clad Cowboy…. You ever see that scene in THE UGLY TRUTH at the restaurant? I’d need no remote… s’all I’m saying. Let’s not even ponder the flames and spontaneous combustions in the bed room—there’d be nothing left but ashes and a big old smile.

I can’t say why a few little words put me in a “mood”. I think it’s has to do with the whole vibe the cowboy has to him. Unassuming. Honest. Still, why are we so swayed by manners and a little (or a lot of) twang? Why does it send shivers down our spines and curl our toes? For me it brings to mind a western version of Chivalry and a code that is engrained from a young age. Like Gene Autry’s Cowboy Code. And yes, I can get *all* that from a few little spoken words.

I try to incorporate that into my characters, into my writing. I’ve been finishing up a new book and the hero is that kind of a Cowboy. He’s meant to make you turn to mush with his actions and words. I am hoping when all is said and done, my hero will melt your insides and leave nothing but a big old smile. (I am in my personal editing stages now—I will give updates as the book is sent out and fingers-crossed bought and ready for y’all)

As tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, everyone grab your cowboy, and give him a tight little squeeze from me—the rest is up to you and your imagination ….