Every now and again, a scene will pop into my head and I just have to write it. Could be a paragraph to two pages, could be eight pages, but it's something that pretty much *needs* to be done and then it just writes itself. The only problem: it doesn't go to anything in particular.
Sure, I have had the odd scene here and there I have had to take out (like I mentioned on Raine's post Friday). Pieces I won't get rid of, but don't go anywhere anymore. I have a nifty little "cut" file so I don't lose it (that and umpteen incarnations saved), but they aren't *so* random since they came *from* something else. But when you have a from-nowhere, to-nothing scene it seems odd to spend time on it. Still, I always feel compelled to write it and get it done. Don't know why. On occasion, I have worked the scene into a book, but more often than not, it just is what it as, a lonely scene.
I don't look at it as wasting time—as long as I'm not shirking something else to write it. Any writing is furthering the craft, isn't it? Sometimes it's a nice break to have an unrelated idea come to you and put it down. Now, I will be the first to admit to having Writer's ADD—probably pretty much any kind of ADD ... but I digress. Staying focused is one of those things I have to work on at any given moment so a small level of guilt will work through—usually after I've finished it and realize I could have written two pages on my WIP. Guilt or no, I can't see myself *not* doing it the next time a single scene pops up.