I have read so many books in my lifetime—I don't think I even want to contemplate the actual amount... but suffice it to say it's A LOT! As a writer it's become more difficult to get through a book, because I have a hard time shutting off the critiquer in me. But it *is* something I must do—the reading and the shutting off, both.
When I come across a book that doesn’t engage me, it may take me a few pages to realize I’ve only read… well, a few pages and maybe an hour has gone by—it happened with at least 4 books last March (made my eye twitch a time or two). Believe it or not, I put down each and every one of those books and didn’t finish, which was new for me. I have typically sucked it up and pushed through. Not any more, life is too short, but I digress… A regular book I will get through it, at the end I close it and think, hmm…. For real, that is about it for my reaction to the book. A really good book however, I will find myself thinking on that book all day, wanting to get back to, wanting to read “just one more page.” I've read two recently that I just couldn’t put down. One I loved it so much (Diana Cosby’s HIS CAPTIVE) I went out and bought the next two in the series—I have not had a chance to sit and read them though, darnitall. The second book is for a contest.
Ms. Cosby’s book I read the entire thing the Sunday before Christmas. With the dh off work and the kids home from school I had the day to myself as they immersed themselves in a slew of video games and left me alone—it was pure joy! The contest book—I’d tell you but I am afraid it would break some contest confidentiality or something, but somehow I will get that title to you later on—I read over this weekend. I was busy with several things going on but I found myself thinking on it and thinking on it and would snag a page here and there throughout the weekend. By Sunday evening I just hunkered down and finished the last four chapters of the book.
It’s a weird thing though, when I am reading a book I really like, aside from the fact I don’t want to tear myself away, I actually have a physical reaction to it too. I get this itchy feeling in my palms. Can’t say that I know what that’s all about, it’s like my body is making sure I know I like it—strange, I know. Then usually the minute I close the book I have one of two reactions—I want to immediately read another book, or I want to work on my own. I supposed that could be considered a big compliment—at least I hope so... (An “eh”, book makes me want a snack and a Lifetime movie.)
It also reaffirms whyI love books and writing. :-)