Tuesday, November 23, 2010
I AM THANKFUL
This is Thanksgiving week—honestly, I can't believe the school year has flown by so quickly (And yes, I do count things by kids: before after the birth of this kid or that and now the school year). It seems like maybe a week since I was reluctantly giving them school supplies to take with them on the first day—it is so hard to part with that many pens and pencils at once. I have a problem. But, I work through it.

I am a little late with my post today after having a tryptophan overload. But wait, turkey day's not for 3 more days, you say. In our house, for just the six of us, I do a spread the weekend before. This year it fell on Monday since #1 child was working on the play at school and that went all weekend long. So Monday it was. And lest you think it's no small affair let me run down the menu:

  • 13 pound turkey

    green bean casserole

    mashed potatoes (5 pounds--what was I thinking?!?!)

    mashed sweet potatoes (with Marshmallows)

    stuffing (Stove Top—only kind the kids will eat *shrugs*)

    home-made cranberry sauce with oranges

    straight out of the can jellied cranberry sauce

    Jello with oranges and marshmallows—kids still love that

    Ham for the non-turkey eaters

    gravy—so I cheat on it & get canned, can't make it to save my life

    rolls

    for dessert: pumpkin pie cheesecake (made with Bisquick, turned out great) and store bought Apple pie.

My oven went from ten in the morning (well really from 8, I made scones for breakfast—again Bisquick—it's a wonder) until 8 that night. It might sound like a huge undertaking but truth be told it's only once a year I do this so it's not that much. Last night, I told the dh I like to do it just to see if I can pull it off. Knockwood five (maybe six, can't even remember anymore) years running and it's still a-go. It started when his mom made manicotti one year for Thanksgiving. He complained FORever and a tradition in our house was born! (The in-laws are Thursday for some more family tradition)


I am thankful that day is over though. And for so many things—the health and well-being of my kids and dh, as well as the rest of the fam. I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for the ability to write even when it doesn't come easy and I curse it. I am thankful that I will never, ever, ever run out of books to read (Hey, I read two last week--it's been 8 months since I read anything). I am thankful to be ... me.