I like watching the CSI reruns on Spike TV, that’s actually where I first started watching the show—during one of the marathon weekends. So every day, I flip it over to Spike and do what I need to do—dishes, laundry etc with it on in the background. Well, yesterday I sat glued to the TV. And cried. It was the episode where Warrick Brown died and they had to solve his homicide. It’s two years old and I’ve seen it 4 or 5 times. *Every* time, it makes me cry. There’s something so… just… it breaks my heart a little each time (the pain on Grissom’s face, then Catherine…).
Could be too the investment into a show, you feel for the characters.
Same goes for the Rascal Flatts song “SKIN” (Sarabeth). I get all weepy each time I hear it; those are emotional tears, but in a diff direction, the touching tears. Maybe it’s the momma in me that thinks what it would be like, or the romantic at a first love so strong that he’d shave his head…
As a kid, Benji was my downfall—when his little cohort gets kicked across the room… I was so traumatized for years.
There are book scenes too, something about it/them, a scene stands out so much I can see it as vividly now as I did six years ago when I first read it (I know the author and title, but can’t find my book—woe is me for rearranging my office—but w/o it, I don’t want to post the info ‘cause I can’t verify it). The imagery evokes a powerful reaction.
What is it about scenes or songs that trigger an emotion so strongly? Do you think it hits everyone to some degree or is it something that has to touch “you” personally? (I have a dh who {like his own momma} tears up as much as I do so I may have a warped sense of peoples levels of it).
What gets to you? And will you avoid seeing something if you’re not in the mood for it? (For example—will never read/watch “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” or “Sophie’s Choice”. I have nothing against either, but I know they’re tearjerkers so won’t do it.)
and... P.S. ... So for the October writing challenge I told y'all about—I didn't win (didn't think I would) but I *did* finish. You were supposed to get 15,500—I ended up with 15,737. And in doing so, finished a book... WOOT. Now major edits!