So it finally got cold here in Fort Worth. Last week—and it lasted about a week. Despite the green-'til-gone leaves and more sleet than snow in Texas, something about this time of year makes me want to hunker down. Home and hearth and all that. I want to bake and I do put decorations up (eventually--seems like it takes longer and longer every year to actually get to it). Something about the need to give the kiddos hot chocolate when they brave the cold in their ever so long (three blocks *maybe*) walk home from school. Something that makes me pull out the throws for all the sofas and shift the closet to get the heavier clothes up front. (Okay I don't really shift the clothes—however I do have a rack *just* for my cardigans).
It also makes me want to write homier stories--or rather, the homier portions of the books.
Maybe it's all the holidays circling and the threat notion of seeing so many family members... I like stories (writing and reading) with lots of characters. Sometimes the ones on the periphery are more fun to write. You can let them do anything, say anything and they have less to lose as they are the main H/H. I like writing about the interactions between all the folks—it reminds me of the Christmas' at my Grandparents when the entire family would stay in their little 4 room home in west Texas. (before my dh & kiddoes and the likes it was 16 peeps/after is was in upwards of 30...) So many stories shared, so much laughter.
And maybe that's it too. With the familiar stories to go around, it sparks a different level of creativity as you remember fondly your own happenings and you want to recreate that feeling.