I'm sure you've heard it before: there's no original ideas. They've all been done. What we do is put our own spin on something. A story idea that we like that we want to make our own. That's why we started creating in the first place, right? But there's something there that prompted it. The germ of the idea.
I have long since said I would love to do an experiment where ten or so writers all get the same concept and write up a story. It would be interesting to see where each story goes. It will be painted a little different per person as to their experience and knowledge. Not to mention their quirks and foibles. We did something a little like this at my local RWA chapter at the last meeting—with a little twist, doing it as a round robin with groups of 3. The stories were varied even in the short amount of time we had to work on them. It was great fun too!
Something topical—or maybe just something in the air— sparks similar ideas at the same time. You may have several books come out at the same time as yours, that are so similar. Worse, how many times has a book or movie come out and you stand in outrage, "That was my idea..." I know I have. We had the idea, but, we passed on it. Then what?
I was watching CSI: Miami the other day and the opening was so great. I didn't see the rest of the episode so I have no idea how the story played out. I do however know how I'd play it out. What's twists and turns I'd like to throw at what happened and how I'd like it to end. That's the best part about being a writer I think. You get to make the story go how you want it to. It's the trick of the tweak that makes an idea yours. (But I haven't really done anything with it—it's not so much a pass...yet. But it could turn out that way).
Even without the prompts of a TV show, news story or something going on in life, I have Writer's ADD in a *bad* way. So I try not to start new projects too often—trust me, I have plenty to work on. But when an idea hits me so strongly, I have to get it down. But it seems there's always some story I want to write, I just don't get to it for whatever reason.
What story idea is just kinda hanging there waiting for you? What is it about the story that compels you so much? And a better question: why haven't you gotten to it yet? What are you waiting for?