Thursday, June 10, 2010
Summer salvage
Usually when school gets out, it takes me a few days to get into the grove and then I am all set to rock-n-roll on my WIPs. I have gotten the most work done during the summers (and for some strange reason October). So far, since literally the school day got out Friday, it has been uber-chaos. #3 child—who can trip over his shadow—was running down a walkway and did a face-plant, tripped over actual obstacles. The teacher tells him to just go to the restroom and get a wet paper towel. He nonchalantly tells me he hurt his chin when he walked in the front door.

Four hours later, he was sporting blue stitches in his chin, had x-rays on his hand (which was fine) and scrapes everywhere. The next day got even better when, as I was changing out the bandage, the boy—who is now taller than me and weighs in at 130—passed out cold. I managed to ease him to the floor—don't know how. Child didn't bat an eye when he got a tetanus shot or the stitches, but pulling medical tape from his chin...

The boy is doing fine now—he even made a YouTube video with the pics I took of his stitches & scrapes.

The dh is STILL out of town (I may have mentioned it last week—he does NBA finals so is gone for weeks this time every year). And actually, last year at this time (granted, no kid-injuries) I was underway on a challenge Ames gave me to write 20K in June. I did it and then some. I guess I need that extra little oomp... I am going to challenge myself to do 25K this June. Anyone who wants to go in for that challenge, consider the gauntlet thrown. You can report your totals in the comments section from week-to-week until the month is over, if you want to.

I don't know if I get so much more done because the kids schedules are less stringent—I am a to-the-minute planner. With 4 kids it's necessary (and I'm completely anal--so it's a compulsion too!). Summer is way more relaxed. Other than #2 having football camp every weekday the ENTIRE summer, we got nothing to do but chillax. I have my alphasmart sitting on my bed when I hide away from the testosterone. I can get two pages done just watching a movie--four if it's a really bad movie. And a book in every purse in case I need to make a mad dash out of the house—be it for personal reasons or another unexpected emergency room visit. Reading is productive too, gotta stay versed in the current works.

Hopefully in a day or three I will get my summer rhythm down and will produce—I have 25K to get done. How 'bout y'all, what are your summer plans/goals?

... oh and... WRONG TURN, RIGHT COWBOY is up on the SP site. It will come out on Aug. 17th ...WOOT! I will show y'all the cover as soon as it get's posted :-)