Last week fried my brain. I belong to my local RWA chapter and over the weekend we had our annual awards luncheon (for the contest the chapter hosts). Thursday, Friday and Saturday I was going a million miles an hour (getting caught in a torrential downpour Friday after having my hair done DID NOT HELP!) I still have not recovered yet–not because of my hair, a little hair dryer and curling iron I was right as rain, pun intended!
It is always amazing though how much all that zaps you. How much energy is leeched from you and when you’re done with the job you all but collapse. But in a good way. It was a glowing feeling of accomplishment. We had two great speakers: Rachel Caine and Christy Craig. They both inspired everyone in the room to want to try harder and work more. Add to that two super (nice and funny—we were laughing and cracking jokes when I could remember they were people too, I tend to get nervous easily around folks —hard to imagine probably) Editors: Laurie Rauch from Samhain and Deb Werksman from Sourcebooks.
Regardless of the crazies leading up to and immediately following a luncheon, the energy spike creatively is well worth it. There is something to be said for a room full of people who are just as excited to do what you do. Most writers, on any given day, probably don’t meet face to face with other writers. I know I don’t. Sure there is the internet—not a day goes by that I am not in contact with some other writer (‘course it helps that my BFF is a writer and the gals we hang out with are too). So when you have a chance to be around folks, it’s such a boon to the normally solitary job. And aside from the weather causing a problem here and there, the weekend was a great success.
Sunday I watched movies all day to decompress (The Blind Side + exhaustion=cry-fest! Just saying)
Now… I can’t wait for Nationals. WOOHOO!