Saturday, May 29, 2010
Gimme
If you have ever attended a large conference, hell even smaller ones--my YR luncheon for example--you will come home with a bag full of promo items. Some you can use, some eh, not so much. They range from the practical to fun to sometimes a little odd (one time, there was this bowl of condoms--they were gone by the time I got to that side of the room so I truly don't know what the deal was, but it *was* attention getting!). I am ALWAYS on the look out for a new way to plug my books... I spend WAY too much time on promo item sites—it's virtual window shopping. The other day on Zazzle.com I designed a pair of Keds with my gravatar on it—I so want those and can totally write 'em off but just can't see paying $60 for Keds—just can't.

Most often you will get a book or two. RWA conferences for example, you could easily come home with upwards of 20 to 30 books--trust me on this, I've done it. Though I will say my largest hall was when it was local and I only had to drive an hour to get home--since you now have to pay for luggage out the ying-yang, I am less apt to hit every book signing ... but my carry-on can hold a decent amount—I made sure. :wink:

There are some swag items I think are pretty nifty, but gone too fast: water bottles (the disposable kind), chocolates or anything edible, sticky notes or pencils since they only last *so* long. Those are great, but they have a finite usage. I have seen some clever candies, from containers that tie into their books or eye catching wrappers. If the author gets sturdy tins/containers they can sit on folks' desk as a constant reminder! And one author gave away music downloads--pretty cool idea and I think I will forever remember her name.

Clothing is fun but I have yet to venture into that. I can't quite wrap my head around folks walking around wearing a shirt with my name on it—not that I don't want them to, I just don't think it will get used more than one or twice and I can't justify the cost. This is something I am quite familiar with—the dh's industry, t-shirts are a HUGE swag item and he has probably collected 40+ over the years. You know how many he's worn? Maybe 4 or 5. Seriously. (Though I do have a WNBA jacket and a diff jacket from his company I wore for years and the #2 child will call dibs on any and all ESPN items so not all swag goes unused.)

Bookmarks are a good standard, but if you have been to more than say two conferences you are probably flush for a good long while—I will NEVER run out. Ever. And I mean ever (which is now funny to me, because I remember when I had 2, yes two whole bookmarks, and the #4 boy ate one--he was 18 mos. and teething. I had only one and I took *such* care that it didn't get near #4). There are also copious amounts of pens. And oh how I *heart* pens. Along with books, I hoard pens. This is something I have done since I was in high school. Conferences enable this beautifully.

Key-chains, chap-stick--I love this btw--finite, but lasts long enough to keep the author in mind, back scratchers, pins/buttons, nail files, rulers, tape measures, fans, lanyards, candles, bracelets... these are just a few of the memorable swag snags I have sitting around.

.... And don't get me started on the actual shopping at conferences—Moonlight Madness at RWA, I purposely leave my checkbook at home. I'd spend every last royalty check on the items there because, of course, I need one (of practically everything), which means my BFF needs it, too, as well as presents for chapter-mates. Then I'd have no room left for the books either.

What are some items that you have gotten that you thought were oh-so clever? What's the strangest? What's the one item you gave out that was a huge success or royal flop? What do you want to give out? I really want to know, it could be my next virtual shopping expedition!