Sunday I’d hit a MAJOR roadblock. I could not, to save my life, come up with a plot, an idea even a way in which to try to start a story. I’m at a point where I need to start a new project and I have a targeted genre I want to hit, but I could not come up with anything. I mean not a darn thing. I can usually come up with one idea or another, maybe even write a scene or two to then later trash, but I was drawing a big old blank. All throughout the day I’d walk out to the dh and I’d grab my head and whimper a, “I got nothing.” Then I’d go lock myself back in my room.
Cut to Monday. I started the day still empty then WHAMO a migraine set in. I, very much out of my control, emptied any and all thought. When the worse wore off believe it or not, a glimmer of an idea or two settled in and I had a jumping off point. Now I can start down the road of what ifs (when before there was no road at all, not even a dirt track or worn path).
I have to say, honest and true it really freaked me out. I have never not been able to come up with something (and I don’t know if this was due to the impending—even if I didn’t know it was coming—migraine or what. I’d had a couple of writer pals throw out some brainstorming needs and I couldn’t help them either. And this is not like writer’s block. Well, truth be told, I don’t know what “writer’s block” actually is. I have had the “I suck ’ems” and the “I don’t wannas” and a heap load of the ”Why bothers”. But the “B”… I know there are folks who talk about it, but that is one of those things I can ignore and pretend doesn’t exist—I don’t read about the symptoms, nor the cures. Maybe it was the big B, and this was my first ever true bout with it—but let’s dwell on that (I still like the head in the sand method).
Once the ideas started, thankfully, they were enough… but man that was a scary day or so. I feel like I made good progress. Edits count, too. Plotting counts, hell even thinking about editing or plotting counts ’cause you have to be in the right mindset to get anything done!