So a week or so ago we go to see Harry Potter V. First Potter movie I have ever seen on the big screen, third that I have seen in entirety. It was pretty exciting watching it on the screen despite the fact it was 2 1/2 hours long--and according to DH and Heir, they left a lot out . . . still--it's a pretty thick book so I can see why.
As everyone knows by now, I am sure, book seven--the last in the great line of Potter books, went on sale at midnight Friday (or is that Saturday--dunno). We were at Wally world and they were passing out tickets to get in line to buy the book. I tried to talk the DH into getting one but although he has read all six other books he isn't quite that crazy a fanatic. Fine. Okay.
(did you hear: I read somewhere they had added hundreds of telephone operators to crisis lines in England for when the little ones read the books and find out about the "alleged" two main characters who die--does that seem just a tad off to you?)Anyhoo--cut to Sunday. I ran up to the bulls-eye store to get the kiddos some dressier (meaning not stained and/or ripped) shirts for the in-laws anniversary (25 years--wow--that's like a billion in Hollywood terms)
and at the end of the register I grabbed one of the many hard-bound copies
of Potter VII--I knew Heir would be uber delighted. So after we get home
from need-for-dressier-shirts I ask the DH to read out loud to us--I
thought it would be a fun family thing to do--WHATEVER. Things 2-4 do their level bests to interrupt and cause noise until they are banished from the room. DH, Heir and I go on until DH's voice runs out of spit.
I read about two more chapters and by now it's late and I am danged tired and go to bed. The next morning the DH asks me to read up to where he
kept going (about 3 chapters) and we will continue
when he gets home from work.
Okay--it's my first Potter read so I figure the read will be good to get out of the way. WELL--300 pages later, I stop only because it is time to prepare dinner, for DH will be home any moment, and he will expect the book back. I have to tell you . . . it was with MUCH constraint that I didn't just commandeer the book and finish that night--that would be rude so it didn't.
Today however--I made it all the way through to the Epilogue: which I will confess only because I know he will call me out on it if I don't--I read that first . . . yeah, I was one of those kids who opened all their presents before Christmas and never told I already had seen everything (kinda blows that morning's excitement)--HOWEVER--it did NOT lessen the surprise for book seven one iota! OMG! It was FABULOUS! Cannot tell you how many, many tissues I went through--and this is from someone who had never read one before--I cannot even imagine theses kiddos who have been following the stories all along! (those phone lines don't seem so silly now!)
Labels: books