Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Further moaning from the peanut gallery
I picked up the summer reading lists per grade per child when we went to the Library Monday. You have never heard such whining. My gosh, you’d think they were asked to live without their Gameboys – indefinitely. Sheesh!

Two of them flat out told me, “I don’t know why you got that.”
I said nothing and held tightly to the color sheets of paper. Later when I suggested they look them over I got a round of shaken heads and frowned faces. I pointed out that each child had already read at least three of the books listed so they had started the list thanks to the Keller ISD. But again, a round of nos echoed through the McD house.

I decided to sweeten the pot – and Spare needs all the incentive to read as he can get, if it’s not sports he doesn’t want anything to do with it. I offered them $0.25 to $0.50 per book (dependant on the length) and for every four books they read from the list they have a free choice and will get $0.25 (they can make up to $40.00 – and still one groaned and groaned – and he is the most avid reader of the bunch. He is almost never without a book – sheesh). Maybe this is wrong – they really do like to read more – than a lot of kids I’d bet, but their choices are very specific and tend not to vary at all.

After glancing over the list, I noticed there were several “girl” books. I cringed and saw my plans for enlightened, well rounded boys float out the window with the fly they let in last time they went outside. But I had an Ah-ha moment. For every “girl” book they read, they get and extra $0.50 – what a deal. If my mother ever offered to pay me to read as a child I’d have been able to pay for this house in full, no mortgage, all on my lonesome! (maybe I exaggerate – but not by much!)
5 Comments:
Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
If my mother had paid me I wouldn't have money issues right now, I can guarantee that.

And those lists are so ... blah.

Blogger Sandy J said...
Wish someone would pay me to read. I'd have a fortune!

Blogger Bernita said...
How long are these lists?
How many books?

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
there are about 60 books but if you count the extra $0.50 for the "girl" books - these boys can make some good money

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
Any port in a storm is what I say... LOL!