I was going to write on GMC - Goal, Motivation, and Conflict - but honestly I could not get started ... no obvious pun intended here - I truly did pull open a research book to get started ... but it is already hot in my office and I cannot focus - I am going to buy a fan today I think. I bought a celing fan years ago but apparently when they built the house they didn't put in a beam over the top so it would take some major construstion to have it done... anyhoo...
I have been contemplating the motivations of the characters - most specifically the male characters (as I think I can relate some to the female ones).
I wonder how far do you delve into the psyche of your characters. To really get at the heart of their emotional motivation. Physical motivation is a given - someone's shooting at you, you shoot back or run the other way. Someone's trying to run you down, you throw a brick through their windshield or blow out their tires.
But what about the emotions... What motivates a man's abitlity to love or not...
For instance, what makes a man shy away from a relationship? What makes a man turn on a dime, turn off his emotions, when a woman tells him she cares about him or, God forbid, loves him. That's the hardest questions to answer for me. But do you really need to know the answers to write a strong believable hero?
tell me what you think.....
For instance, what makes a man shy away from a relationship?
They get hurt just like we do. Thye carry baggage just like we do. I"m trying very hard to work my way away from "family baggage" because it's a great source of motivation/conflict for characters--too great sometimes in that it's easy to fall back on. A stressful job. A bad previous marriage. A job where he travels a lot. Their father was a drunk and their mother was a prostitute--see what I mean? LOL
What makes a man turn on a dime, turn off his emotions, when a woman tells him she cares about him or, God forbid, loves him. That's the hardest questions to answer for me. But do you really need to know the answers to write a strong believable hero?
Ask Chris? JUST KIDDING!!!! Yes I think you do because it goes back to characterization and that my dear, is king, queen and the whole damned court as far as I'm concerned. If I don't care about your characters, if I don't get them, if they don't feel real to me, you're gone. (you in the general sense). It's tough though becuase guys have to act like guys and talk like guys. Thye have to stay in character--so we realize the profound impact when they act out of character.
I have this one scene (damn I'm writing a book here) in a WIP where the hero has a teenage daughter and he's screwed up and screwed up and screwed up with her and one night he walks out of the dancehall and sees her talking to a boy and he stops and he realizes that a) she's human and b) she's growing up. It's a very profound moment for him (especially as an alpha male --it's also what made the whole 'what is an alpha male' thing click for me).
Okay - I agree with Cece - you do need to know the answers. I have found that Kate Walker's 12-Point Guide to Writing Romance very useful for this. She has some great exercises to help to get to know your characters.
as to the heat - yeppa - I ended up loggin out around 3 and turning the fan around to cool off the living room - it is huge w/ high ceilings and no vents that feed directly into it so stays warm in the summer - 'specially w/ sweaty boys running around pillow fighting!
You go as far into your characters as their role allows...ei minor characters need little motivation, especially if they're throwaway.
And then again how do you want your reader to feel about a certain character...you have to give them enough to create that emotion!
I just created a really bad guy that I make you feel sorry for when he starts out...before you want to rip his heart out!
Sj - I may have to borrow that book- if you can reach it off the shelf - LOL!
THe Curse of the Perfect Hero