Sunday, April 09, 2006
What is it….
….with grown men that make them feel the need to shoot off fireworks at midnight?

For a minute, let’s excuse the fact that, despite some rain, the burn ban is still in effect and that the houses are pretty darn close together. And, um unless you missed the calendar, it’s APRIL not JULY. But HELLO it is freaking midnight. People are sleeping or don’t care to have the crap scared out of them if they are minding their own business watching Saturday Night Live.

What ever happened to common courtesy? Is it too much to ask that a) they obey the freaking laws that are put into place for a multitude of reasons not least of which is the grass is still so dry a fire can wipe out several houses before the fire station even gets notification. b) It’s just darn rude – MIDNIGHT – come on. Just because you and your stupid friends are up, drunk and have no judgment doesn’t mean the rest of us want to see your little displays of stupidity!

And DO NOT get me started on how long I waited on hold when I dialed 911. I started freaking out thinking, “What if this was a real horrible emergency.” I mean, I am home ALONE. What if someone had broken into my home it took them – I kid you not – 2 ½ minutes to get on the line. I’d have been dead or worse by then. THEN they couldn’t get the transfer to the fire department to work so she gave ME the number to call – OMG! You suppose I can get a refund on my city taxes? Doubt it.

* * * *


My camping crew comes home today. Mini-me has been having a blast. Doesn’t hurt that his girl friend is there – yes, he is low single digits and has a girlfriend. Apparently they have joined at the hip – too cute. He got to swim, saw a falconer show, and probably peed in the woods umpteen times. Sadly all I can think of is all the stinky laundry I will get to do when they get home. Almost negates the whole, “Quiet time to myself” but on the up side (I guess if you could call it that) I would still have had to do it had I gone, so I am at least relaxed for the domestic undertaking!
12 Comments:
Blogger Mary said...
I can't comment on the "why grown men do..." given my own Man's antics. He set off fireworks 10 years ago at a friend's lakehouse and fell into the water when the dock caught fire....

As for the laundry-I'd have them all strip down in the garage. AND HAVE THEM PULL OUT THEIR POCKETS! You just never know what they might think is cool to bring home to Mom. ;)

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Oh Mary - oooh yuck! they wouldn't dare! they know excatly how I feel about creepy crawly.... I better make dh check and be dern sure! (I did find a lizard in the wash one day - poor thing - Tide doesn't go well with reptiles!)

Blogger Buffy said...
Fireworks are shot off year round on my street. And always at 2am.

I really don't know what they're up to.

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
We had a bunch of kids who were shooting off fireworks one week - school night and late. Where are the parents?

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Hi Buffy - wow that would be so annoying!

Eve - it was the parents(If it's who I think it was) - I think they were having weekend long party - they just got a new pool and the lights were on both times when I went out to see what was going on -

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
So....where's the rst of the story...did you get the Fire Dept?
Did the cops give them a verbal tongue lashing? Did you???? Details my dear, details!!!

Blogger Bernita said...
I usually think it's shotguns and go back to sleep....

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
well that's true Bernita - in my neighborhood it could be an old fashioned drive-by.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
I did finally get the fire department, they said I would have to point out which house did it and I told them I wasn't sure - a few minutes later I hear a truck out there and one of the other neighbors had called too and she didn't know who it was either -

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
...and luckily they didn't do it last night (either that or I was dead asleep from the previous two nights)

Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...
We never bother with the police because even if they did come, they'd come too late to do anything.

We got up at midnight last night because some young males at a party hosted by our neighbor were setting off firecrackers and honking their car horns.

Hubby just called the neighbor who hosted the party--he called her at his usual wake-up time: 4:30 am.

He just chatted nicely and asked her how she was doing, and she said, "you're doing this because our party woke you up, aren't you?" And he said, "Well, yeah."

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
hmmm.... people - sheesh!