You had to watch what you say
If you cussed too much
Or talked the trashiest words
You’d be pushed an arms length away
But now is seems
A new social faux pas has emerged
If you joke or poke fun
At yourself or others
You are consider a scoundrel and scourge
Okay so that might be an over-exaggeration – a bit. But I was talking to an offspring’s school councilor and made a crack. Dead air filled the line. “Hello, you still there?”
What ever could I have said to put her off so, you might ask. I had called to discuss son’s grades – his below passing grades (gifted and talented does not ensure that your child will turn in ANY of his work – can I get an AMEN!) AFTER she made a comment we couldn’t strangle our kids, I said, “Yeah and he’s almost as tall as me – chaps my hide.” Then the dreaded dead air. Come on. That’s funny, right?
Do you know how many people cannot take a joke? Far too many in my opinion. I realize there are times when one should limit their jocularity – at my Grandfathers – not appreciated – I get that now, but in everyday conversations – again I say, C’mon!
I crack jokes. It’s what I do. Life is to short to be woolen faced and down. When a situation is tense and tight – I pop off and try and make people laugh. Police office and such have humor to keep from going off the deep end. Doctors and such have humor to help them deal. Lawyers – okay so maybe 2 out of 3 are good examples – see another joke…
Lighten up – life’s too short!
Dennie - you and I are so alike its scary. The more nervous I am, the more depressed I am, the more funny I try to be. Doesn't always work (and I'm not talking about reception, a 2 on the funny scale), but I keep trudging along.
Cece
~whose goal in life is to be as un-PC as possible!