Monday, April 03, 2006
Curious....
SJ and I booked our airline tickets/hotel/conference reservations for the national RWA conference the other day. We are so terribly excited about going it is not even funny. Hellllooooooo Atlanta! WOOHOO!!!

I am curious as to how many folks belong to writing organizations and do they, if not RWA, have a similar conference. I have been to two national RWA's before (Denver and Dallas) and I know I will go next year (in Dallas again). I can't speak for SJ - though I am pretty sure she is the same as me - but I get so totally pumped after meeting with so many folks that share the same passion and don't look at you sideways because of your fervent admiration for an author or publishing house. (I wrote Her Passion after Denver)

Yellow Rose also has our annual Awards luncheon coming up, where we have great speakers and get a chance to pitch to an editor. I am always so jazzed after it as well. I think, even if you participate in a critique group or have wonderful online writing buddies, you need to have moments like these writing conferences to get you pumped up. There are times when it is so beneficial to have fellow writers that you can commiserate with and maybe even bounce ideas off of.

...and lets not for get the free books - Hi my name is Dennie and I am a book ho! (I got 114 at the Dallas conference - FREE - since we drove, that was manageable. I tried to talk SJ into driving to Atlanta but cost and time won out over my need to increase my booklist!)

SO .... who else belongs to RWA or any other groups - and if your are going to Atlanta look SJ and me up - party in Dennie's room!


7 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I wanna come and party! :( *jealous*

I hope you and SJ have big fun. I am going to be meeting up with Rene Lyons at BEA. :)

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
I don't belong to any groups (can't afford it), but I'm really looking forward to the one in Dallas next year because there's that book signing night (isn't there? There was one in Reno)and I really want to meet people.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Eve...Yes - and next year when it's here my second should be in print by then so I can participate - that will be so cool!

Savannah - have fun at BEA!

Blogger Toni Anderson said...
I went to Reno--and took an extra bag because most airlines have a pretty big luggage allowance :)

I came back with mixed feelings. Eye opening.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Details Toni - I want details!

My first nationals I barely knew the ladies in my chapter so I was pretty much on my own. The one in Dallas was a hoot! I even dragged SJ out during a lunch and we managed to get Bombshell's first 8 books as well as a nifty tote that helped bring home the books!

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
I really would like to go to some of the smaller conferences. I'm afraid with braces and flooring this year nationals is out =( so is RT, sadly so is the Merritt conference and of coruse I missed DARA's conf *sob* sucks to be me

Blogger Sandy J said...
I love going to conferences! I went to Duel on the Delta one year and had a ball! DH drove me 'cause he was serious about supporting my writing. Hah! Tunika (as in casinos) was a few miles away.

Can't wait for Atlanta! Woo Hoo!

Cece: Next year, Dallas will be wonderful! You HAVE to go!