Monday, April 17, 2006
Blathering idiot
I’m in a mood today…

Does it make me a bad mother that I HATE playing video games w/ Mini-me. First, I don’t know what to do most of the time. Second, he gets uber pissed if by chance I win. Third, I HATE IT.

We have established I am weird, but… does anyone else read magazines backwards. I actually start in the middle go to the front then go to the back and read to the middle – ALWAYS. Doesn’t matter what kind of magazine it is.

Never thought I’d say, “Please go play your game. I have to finish this and get it to my editor.” *vbg*

Conversely – just because you sell a book, you don’t get away from, “What was I thinking trying to be a writer?” (especially when you read comments on a contest entry – though I will say I am confused by the, “you have great dialogue and pacing – I know you will get this published” from one judge while the other says – “I suggest you learn the craft before you try to publish anything” – WTF! Honest to goodness – not that I am bitter and confused – no not me….

Know your limitations at a theme park – did you know that you can be uber claustrophobic on a kiddy ride – HOLY SCHMOLEY – let’s not even get into the fact that you are strapped to the seat next to your youngest child and cannot freak-out lest he remember he is afraid of the ride. (Why he wanted on in the first place….)

Sun Screen – if you miss a spot on your child’s face – you will find out later – and he will be pissed at the red stripe running across his forehead! (oopsy!)

When you tell someone you are a romance writer and they snicker – what does that mean?!?!?
10 Comments:
Blogger Amie Stuart said...
Dennie don't even get me started on those snickers. OWN IT BABY!!!!!!! Just Own It!

Don't feel bad, I got some really bizarre feedback too. the one I entered on a lark in SC one judge said my heroine was too slutty even for erotica because she semi-strips for the hero on a crowded dance floor. It was "too much" -- But wait? What about a heroine who has sex at work? Or one who has sex at her boyfriend's work? with the door unlocked? Or a girl who lets another girl feel her up on a crowded dance floor?*

Yeah, whatever...I can see how well you know the genre...*eye rolling*

*all scenarios from the book I just turned in to K

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
Cece - I'm already loving it!

Okay, now to Dennie - what Cece says. This has nothing to do with books, but it has to do with critics and how wrong they are. I was going through an old People magazine the other day. (btw - front to back - yes you're weird *gg*) I came across the new fall season critics report (I don't remember the year, but 80s). He was talking about this new comedy that was lousy, was not, in his opinion, going to make it through the season - it was sooooo bad, etc., etc., etc. The actor playing the oldest son was never going to go anywhere. The series? Family Ties. The actor? Michael J. Fox. Just because someone critiques something doesn't mean that they have any idea of what they are talking about - unless, of course, it is a good critique and then they are the most brilliant people in the world.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Cece - owning it - LOL!
can't wait to buy the book!

Eve - thanks hun! (not sure if it's for the weird part or the critique critique though - LOL!)

Blogger Toni Anderson said...
I have heard (second time I've said this today so I getting MORE boring) that the more diverse your scores the better/more distinct your voice. Don't know if that helps. It is all part of the rejection cycle I think. Plus many judges aren't well trained or just don't like your work--editors are the same (Argh)! Who cares!

I have entered a contest--funny that I am so confident it'll go straight to the judges for the final round and yet... I'll probably get it back with crappy scores and a 'try better next time dear' sticker. But you gotta have faith right??

Snicker at the stripes. My kids caught the sun yesterday--what a surprise LOL. At least it wasn't burny hot, just browny hot!

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
But lovingly, eccentric weird. My other SIL reads magazines backwards too and I love her bunches. At least you don't read books backward *gg*

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Toni - then I have a damn good voice - LOL - 62 to 110

Eve - well, um , I HAVE done that before too - I am hopeless - LOL

Blogger Sandy J said...
Hey, if they snicker means tehy are read 'em but don't want anyone to know they read 'em. Just snicker back at them.

I'm too anal to read a book/magazine backwards. But I have checked the end of some of them just to make sure they will eventually end. You know the kind I mean.

Hope you had fun at six flags.

Blogger M. C. Pearson said...
Be true to yourself and write what you love...Very strange how contrasting those judges were. Well, I think we all need to learn more about the craft. I'm constantly learning and learning...etc and so forth!

I used to have these silly sunglasses that had a hole in the middle (between the eyes) I ended up looking Hindu after one beach trip. Needless to say, those glasses are no more. Funny about the sunblock...well, not to him but it is really funny...just like my Hindi look!

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Mimi - some of it is because of his baldness now - I have never had to put the sun blocker there before - LOL

SJ - I WRITE SMUT - and I like it!

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
Dennie I think my scores on my chick lit entry were just as diverse! And I think Toni is right--teh more varied the more you've rung someone's bell. I also think some judges are very frustrated writers =) If only they knew how much LESS frustrated they'd be if they'd throw those rule books out the window.

Speaking of frustrated writers, I have to go write now.