When someone says something to me - my natural inclination is to dissect it! And this is on a good day.
I have a, well let's call her a friend, because god forbid she actually read this and knew I was talking about her - the next holiday would be a mine field with sh*t falling from the sky to set each and every one off. And the last thing I want to do is give my mother another reason to yell at me....
When she - the er, ah, friend - speaks, I assume the worse from what ever comment she makes. I figure she is typically tacky and therefore anything she feels the need to speak directly to me about is a dig thinly disguised as casual banter.
Take for instant the recent sale of my two books. "Oh, you sold something. Hmm."
WTF?
Does this mean that she actually knows the market and how competitive that it is? Or does it mean my writing is so poor that no one in their right mind will buy it? (not that she has EVER read anything I have written)
I will not ask for clarification here but you get the point because it was "her", I assume the later. Had someone else said it, I might have given them the benefit of the doubt. Might have even asked what they meant by it, albeit in a joking fashion as that is the way that I am.
Unfortunately, though, this may, can and will carry over to others at times too - just the other day SJ said "Wow, you look cute." my brain flips to "Wow" as in you normally look weird or Wow who knew you could clean up so nicely - I am kidding ... a bit.
But is hard not to take apart ever little thing that people say to you! And helllloooooo I am a writer - I already have an over-active imagination - it's not like I don't hunt for clues and meanings in everything that people say to me (most times though just so I can use it a book!).
If I can whip up an scenario about the person in the next car at a light in 2.2 seconds flat - you don't think I will start putting my own spin on those around me? Not to worry - I change the names to protect ... well, me ... when I use you in my books!
Oh and lookie lookie what I got BOOKMARKS - aren't they cool!
Sorry, Hun, I know it sucks.
But, I loves ya!
Some people wear the title of friend in a very casual manner.
Eve - well I like you so... I'll even send you some of my nifty bookmarks and not just so you can give me CC's number! (You know I am a kidder - You're a good friend, dear!)
Toni - thanks I designed them myself so I am kinda partial to them!
I guess I am in sappy mood - could be because I have talked to my mother 4 times in the last three days (and twice through my cousin -shee-it) and her sisters are in town and they are all driving me nuts and it makes you appreciate the folks you bring into your life on purpose - not just throw in by birth - don't get me wrong I love them all but... sheesh - they are driving me nuts!
And FWIW I think you always look cute ;-)
>>and it makes you appreciate the folks you bring into your life on purpose
Honey don't I know it and don't even get me started on "family"......I'm much closer to folks I'm not even related to than I am ..those folks. Yes, I have issues.....
Cute {snort}... thanks!
I like you too kid.
And now my meds have caused partial mental wandering, so I'm REALLY not hearing those comments. Or barbs. God, the wonderful side effects of meds!
My brother zings with almost every breath. If I sold a book he'd be the FIRST to say, "What? You put up another one on that vanity publisher thing? What did THIS one cost you?"
(I used a Print on Demand place, Lulu.com, which didn't cost me anything. He's been told that, but deigns to think he has the inside scoop.) At least I've learned not to talk to him for any reason. I've discussed this with Sherry and SHE says he's just horribly jealous that I managed to finish a book AND get it into print. But then, he hasn't done anything worthwhile in his life except fail at multi-level marketing. (Now over 100 different schemes!!)
So you can see the angst of family stuff. And I think Cece's right: I'm much, MUCH closer to the ones I've met and made friends of than the family.
Okay, enough soapbox. Thanks for a great topic.
And you know I love ya more than my luggage, my books, and my scrapbooking supplies!
The bookmarks rock!
As for "those people?"
We all know what kind they are - stupid, inconsiderate and mean.
I have a special look, but I'm old enough to get away with it.
NEVER let the buggers grind you down.
I am good today - WOOHOO!!!
Forrest - that's why God lets you choose your family of the heart - to make up for the one you get stuck with at birth...
...and FYI - it's too late but thanks!
Of course, I always have to be the one to apologize when I say something a little hurtful. Can't remember that this person ever apologized to me for anything. I guess this person can't imagine *ever* making a mistake or hurting anyone.
Anyway, New Year's Day when my aunt called me to wish me a Happy New Year, I mentioned that I'd been having a lot of trouble with this person. She confided something in me that totally floored me. My aunt is only 7 years older than I am. I'm the oldest of four and the youngest is more than 11 years younger than I am. So, yes, we're talking about a sibling here.
Anyway, there was a time soon after the divorce that my mother took in her brother's only son (of 4 children). One day my aunt called our house wanting to speak to her son. However, this other person was on the phone and since her son was out, they started to talk a bit. It struck her like lightning when this young whipper-snapper in my family lit into her about how she was treating her son. She didn't go into detail (this was over 30 years ago) but I could still hear her total astonishment at being berated like that. I would never have expected it, or even believed it, if I hadn't gone through similar experiences in the last 2 and a half years.
And it's true, the ones you love the most can also hurt you the most. And...you can't choose your family.
Oh, and I love your bookmark. I hope I can find some money to get your book some time. It sounds really interesting. So, Congratulations and WTG.