Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Write here... Write now
"So, Miss McDonald, your book has been released. What do you do now?"

If I say my life's work has been completed and I can sit back and watch the word go by, I think I would hear ten or so chairs hitting the ground as the Rosebuds ran for their doors with their beating sticks and a dictionary. (and Chocolate)

I never thought I would accomplish this first goal - not that I don't have faith in my writing - but because it is a darn hard business to break into.

Anybody with money and a halfway decent will can buy into a franchise or any sorted businesses. But where the ability to get into those buy-your-way-in business differs from the grind, toil, sweat, slog (yes I do own a Thesaurus) craft/artistry/entertainment industry the next step is exactly the same. You have to keep at it, persevere if you want it to thrive and move to that next level.

Now I was lucky enough to have sold two books at the same time, so at least I won't be a one-book-wonder. But I will still have to kick my self in the arse to make sure I am not a two-book-wonder. It is a never ending process - if you want to continue to be published. One I will happily participate in until someone takes away my keyboard (pen, pencil, paper, sand - you can write in just about anything if you put your mind to it) and my ability to think coherently.

I have always said - and my friends can back me up on this - if you are a "writer" you can't not write. You may not always sit at a desk and chip away at the great American novel. You may not always send away your submissions and enter contests. But a true writer - I my humble, but still my own, opinion - cannot not write. When you vacuum, the characters will speak to you. When you are sitting in traffic and you glance over at the driver next to you, your brain will weave and bend a quick and fantastic tale as to what brought that person to that spot in the road. When you sit through another PTA meeting, you can imagine what would happen if the former president, that decided the cute shoes at Nordstroms were a better idea than the t-shirts for the field trip, came screaming into the cafeteria with nothing on but said shoes and proceeds to do the chicken dance on the table in front of the hunky Vice Principle.

But I digress (some). A writer will always write in one form or another. It's when you choose to park your behind in the leather office chair with a slight rip and set your fingers to your wireless keyboard with the "N" worn almost completely off. And - most importantly - you open word (or whatever program you write in) click on an actual book/story/outline and crank that sucker out!
12 Comments:
Blogger Savannah Jordan said...
Nothing has been more of a Blessing lately than to know that there are other people out there nuerotic as me! Writers can't not write! I think in prose, I sigh in poetry...

Here's hoping you fiil a library shelf all by yourself somday, Dennie!

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
nuerosis unite! LOL!

I think in prose, I sigh in poetry... Even your blog comments are pretty!

and about the library shelf - that's so sweet - and ditto the sentiment

Blogger Faith Bicknell said...
Major kudos to you for your publications!!!

Blogger Sandy J said...
Great post, Dennie! You are so right on. Just let me know if I need to head out the door with a chocolate beating stick!

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
Two down...now get to writing on the next two...LOL!

Blogger Bernita said...
Yes!
Whole shelves!
Long ones!

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Hi Faith - thanks for stopping by!

Sandy - I'm writing.... but I'll take the chocolate just the same - LOL!

Bonnie - my fingers are a tapping'

Aw thanks, Bernita!

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
How did you know the "N" is nearly rubbed off my keyboard? Yes, I keep telling myself that even though I'm not "writing" right now, I am still working since the stories are bouncing around in my head. Sleep would help.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Yours is rubbed off, too....? It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Is the drummer a temporary thing? maybe you can sneak over when they are out and pad the drums... LOL!

Did you watch AI - Chris - Love him! Ace is kinda cute and pretty good - Kevin, you just wanna pinch his cheeks! None of the girls stand out over much...

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
No, not new but playing them everyday in the afternoon is new. Go over to my blog - I've found the solution.

Yes!!! Bebo and I love Chris and Taylor - Mandisa (is that her name) is the only woman that sticks out (IMHO). Yes, Ace is cute, but Kevin is beginning to wear on me. Everybody else is okay - there isn't anybody I hate this year. (so glad they got rid of Brenna or I was going to have to barf).

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
Eve my old keyboard, heck my barely broken in laptop has an almost rubbed off "N" Key........what is that?

LOL Dennie.....get to writing. If I have to, so do you, missy.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
awww - man - I thought I could coast from here on out.... LOL!