Thursday, March 02, 2006
Where does the inspiration come from...?
This was originally posted on 4/17/05. I have not replayed posts before (okay excepts for the advertising one) but as I am finally getting my arse back in gear to actually sit down and write, I needed writerly motivation and pics of Mini-me sitting at my desk, while cute and make me saw, "AWWW," just ain't cutting it for me.

So please enjoy:




4/17/05
I was at my romance writers meeting yesterday and the guest speaker waxed eloquent about "conflict" and it hit me - no not literally although it would have brought her point across much stronger - I need more conflict in my story. So they meet. Big deal... So they want to see each other again. Whoopee... I need action and adventure even in a sweet, comedic romance. (ie conflict!) I need...the heroine getting stuck in a doggie door. The hero gets stage freight in front of a group of six-year-olds, or worse yet, he's heckled by said children a week after his hottest bachelor cover for Stud-Muffin monthly hits the shelves. Something unexpected.

So I am trying to dig up their worst fears, the deep dark secret that keeps them awake at night and I shall blindside them with it in chapter six or maybe eight and then again in twelve. Does that make me evil? Well maybe, but it will definitely make the story juicier and the reader not want to put it down.

So thank you author of the guy and the girl in the woods... you have made me dig deeper for my story and inspiration.


* ... * ... * and if that is not enough to inspire - since I am repeating a post I thought to repeat a pic - and FYI I have this pic up next to the word file and I am listening to his CD's as he was the major inspiration for this book - Cagleheads - WOOHOO!




7 Comments:
Blogger Amie Stuart said...
Torturing our characters is half the fun!

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
I thought that torturing our characters was all of the fun?

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
what perverse folks writers are - LOL!

Blogger Tsavo Leone said...
The question is: Just what are their fears?

What nasty, horrid things are you planning on inflicting in chapters six, eight, and twelve? I know what it is - you're going to inflict a love of C&W on them, aren't you, and have them dress up like Mr Cagle when the moon is full...

: )

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
ppppllltttttt...... LOL

I guess you'll have to buy the book when I sell it to find out - unless, of course, you get to edit it - you owe me - HA!

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
and... for what it's worth... the thing about "guy and the girl in the woods>"

At nationals, 2004, I went up to an author, not knowing at first if the name struck a cord then out of the blue I realized I had her book. I jumped up and down point and said, "I know you. you wrote the book about..." you see and then the rest of the week EVERY time we were in line she stood behind me somehow - I was so embarrassed - then she came and spoke at my romance group meeting and I reminded her and she signed my book as such =)

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
Oh, yea...talk about torturing characters and then put the Hunk up there...way to go!