Wednesday, March 22, 2006
TO makes me PO(‘d)
In a house full of men, being the only woman does have many drawbacks. Discussion of sports would be one of those. (Let me preface this saying, maybe being a female, I just don’t get it.)

… I was expressing my displeasure at the acquisition of the infamous 81 to the Boys. “Why?” the dh asks.

“Because is it okay to hire someone with his reputation JUST because he is good at his position.

To which he replied, “Yep.” A means to an end. The goal at the end of the season. The big fat ring.

But what about morality clauses? What about keeping toxicity out of the locker room? Basically he said, “Who cares as long as they get the win.”

That chaps my hide. I realize this is sports, the way it has been, and will always be – not that I don’t think it needs change. But it a job. You get the guy to net the best results. Who cares if he(not TO on these examples - a plethora of other players) has been arrested four times though not convicted or an alleged rapist released on a minor technicality. Who cares if the player strangles his coach in front of the rest of the team, beats his wife, is arrested for drug charges, prostitution charges, stabs someone, DUIs out the wazoo.... If he can win you the game, he’s as good as gold.

I know there are just as many people like this in the corporate world and regular-life kinda folks world. Their profiles just aren't in the media's every-waking-moment eye.

What chaps my hide most of all is that I even have an opinion on the matter! Before the kids were born, I didn’t care who was on what team – couldn’t tell you a tight end from a half back. (well, okay – I can’t really do that now either, but I can hold a halfway knowledgeable conversation when it comes to most sports – though curling stymies me!)

I guess I am in a quasi-rant mode this week...
9 Comments:
Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
I and the kid next door (okay, not exactly kid I think he's 20 now) were talking about TO the other day. We both think it's a bad idea and that Jones prostituted the team for another ring. Not all of the fans thinks its a great move (male and female). I got into football when I realized that this was the only way I could spend time with my father. Now I love it.

Blogger Tsavo Leone said...
Well, since I don't know who it is we're talking about here (the joys of being English, and in England!)...

Team sports, for the most, seem to have very little to do with actual 'sport' or 'sportsmanship' these days. It is all about the win, and if it takes a team full of sharks and sadists to get that win, I'm pretty sure the owners will condone it, if only because of the revenue that's at stake.

So, allow me to correct myself: it's not about the win; it's all about the money!

Doesn't football have some kind of regulatory body, like boxing, which can suspend or outright ban players? Over here it's not uncommon for soccer's regulatory body to fine or suspend players/managers/coaches who bring the game 'into disrepute'...

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Eve - the dh is so not understanging me on this - he sees nothing wring what so ever and scoffed when I mentioned your "Jerry is prostitiuting the team" comment - called you a girl - sheesh - what is with some men!

Tsavo - yes they have a body for stuff like that but he is a FRANCHISE player which means nothing will happen unless he commits a ctime that convicts him (and even then they have come back to play again) or he is close enough to retirment that they "suggest" he go. If he were a lesser player he'd be gone - but if he were a lesser player everyone would laugh and be done w/ him...

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
So much talent, so little intelligence. As far as the girl thing, there was a time (before I had a life) when I could tick off all the stats on all of the NFL quarterbacks and had a 85.9% success rate on picking the winning teams each Sunday. My uncles (male chauvenist that they are) used to call me up for football stuff. Ahhh, those were the days. Now I'm lucky if I can remember what time my shows come on each night. That's okay - it'll all come back to bite them in the end (literally and figuratively). He'll behave the first year, he always does.

And Tsavo - she's right, he really has to do something more than talk ugly about his own team.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
it's shame really, that you cannot have players like Emmit any more. They have talent and class.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm with you on the TO situation. I was shocked to hear he is now a Cowboy. But then we're talking about Jerry Jones. The man has no morals.

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
Jerry Jones is a pig.

And FWIW (I Don't follow football; I follow basketball), Kobe might be able to score more than 80 points in a game but I'll be damned if a child of mine is wearing his jersey.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
You go girls - why the dh cannot see this - we talked about it again last night - I made my Emmit comment and he basically said it's a certain personality trait - I said BS and that it was becasue peole like Jerry "LET" them get away w/ it - all goes back to that good old accountablity....

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
NOt only does Jerry let them get away with it, everyone does. Cuz you know they're star athelets and that makes it okay to be a complete shit and beat your girlfriend or hire prostitues or get high.