Have you ever found yourself leaning over a baby carriage and cooing and smooching at a butt-ugly baby (ala Seinfeld) yet you comment, “Oh, how adorable?” I haven’t. Rarely, even if the baby rivals one of my own precious angels, would I ever openly, willingly bestow momma and child w/ wild praises. I hate that.
I don’t comment on people’s clothing (unless I truly like it to the point I am considering knocking them on their perky ass to get it from them) or hair or whatever vanity they need stroked. I never have and probably never will. I just don’t do it.
Now, we can traipses through the colorful garden of Dennie’s issues here and have a field day of why this is – but for the sake of the piece let’s assume I am a normal, rational person and read this for what it is not why it is – thank you – this has been a brief message from the Dennie Broadcasting Company… (okay – see – Spring Break is FINALLY over and I was about over the edge, but now relief, though the tic in my eye … so I apologize for wacky sense of humor!)
… back to regular programming already in progress.There are so many people – none that I am specifically linked with at present so you can all stop wondering, “Is she talking about me?” these are observations I have made and folks I used to know – that will compliment for the sake of hearing themselves speak or because they feel, for whatever misguided reason, the need to comment on you to you.
So that leaves the genuine praise, kudos and general felicitations lost in the sea of hot air and bum smoke.
When I make a comment, I mean it. I don’t give praise or other emotional accolades lightly. However, having said that, I do have my own biases. If you are my friend, I don’t mind heaping on the congrats. If I enjoy your writing I will slather you with my fondest and greatest endorsements and regard. But sometimes I feel the authenticity of my applaud is undermined by the smoke blowers.
I suppose there may be times when you feel the need to don your hip waders and listen to my spiel but it is a true and honest rendering of my affection.
But if I'm pressed for an opinion on the baby's beauty, I say, "Now, THAT'S a baby!"
Babies can't be polished-up, but writing can. So I'm a little tougher with writing, but if the person doesn't ask for an opinion, I won't give her a negative one.
But consider also, Dennie, that some of us may not be able to see the faults of the writing as well as you can.
What you might think of as me blowing smoke is really my opinion... that I liked it! I love lots of movies everybody else hates, and hate lots of critically acclaimed, blockbuster movies. I don't know why I like/hate them, I just do.
Savannah - yep, I know that too - in critiquing w/ both my groups I have had people *not* want me to read their stuff again as I questioned too many things. But I always mean it w/ the best intention - just want them to be stronger writers ....
I'm not a smoke blower either...ask my Pastor..LOL..I'm always in trouble...hey, if they don't want the truth...they shouldn't ask!
I always start with, "Well, now that you've asked...."
Don't get me started.
*lesigh*
Sometimes I WANT to rant, rave and be ugly, but I can't. Husbands don't count :-)
Just call me the bluebird of frickin' happiness.
Sucks to be me sometimes.