Friday, March 17, 2006
Pop, pop, pop culture…
I have been immersing my boys is 80’s pop culture. I got tired of having to explain what I meant when I said:

“Hello, McFly.”

“Bueller…, Bueller…”

“Neo maxi zoomed Dweebie.”

or when I stand on the sofa in the crane position. (yep, done that several times now.)

They loved, loved, LOVED Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. They watched it several times in fact. The dh wasn’t too please when, last Halloween, we viewed Friday the 13th and I explained to them, “When you see a bra, she’s gonna die.” (I mean we all know the chchchc, shashasha theme by heart, but sometimes you gotta use the clothing factor). Sure enough, they became pretty fluent in Jasonese! We haven’t repeated that particular experiment in pop culture as a few choice things that asked about afterwards – so the dh was right – once.

I went through that with my mother. Can’t tell you how many times I saw Move Over Darling, Please Don’t Eat the Daisies and Pillow Talk (and the likes) and, hello, Lou Christie was my favorite singer and I loved the Monkeys in the 6th grade – so what that it was 1983.

My boys know AC/DC, Styx and Kiss thanks to the DH and EA Sports games. Have you ever heard a four-year-old sing Mr. Roboto? It cracks me up when we hear music on the radio and I sing along. “How do you know the words to that, mom?”

“Because it came out when I was a kid.” And sometimes I can hear my mother’s voice saying, “Now hold on. That came out when I was a teen.” It’s all cyclical. Case in point – Chris On American Idol sang Higher Ground. Dh and I sang along thanks to the Red Hot Chili Peppers version in the eighties and the kids were all shocked – but hey, Stevie Wonder did it BEFORE the Chili Peppers version the dh and I grew up with. (Okay I was actually one when it came out the first time and seventeen when CP did it, but you get the drift).

And some pop culture is everlasting, every generation thinks it is uniquely their own – like Narnia. It came out when my mom was a kid and has held up through the decades, but seems new and exciting again and again – and speaking of again, I shall take the boys to see it again at the dollar movie in a bit!

Can you name the movies?

"Chicks can't hold their smoke. That's what it is!"

"He doesn't even have his license Lisa."

"My brother paid a buck to see your underwear at the dance."

"I want my two dollars."

"Just for the record, my name is Ronald. Not Donald."

Gotta love the eighties.

Have a great weekend!
12 Comments:
Blogger Amie Stuart said...
>>"My brother paid a buck to see your underwear at the dance."

SIXTEEN CANDLES!!!!!!!

I know the second one but it escapes me. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Well ... it has some of the same cast as SIXTEEN CANDLES

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
and sad to say - I didn't look any of those up - I have it all stored up in the noggin - {A scary place!}

Blogger Sandy J said...
My son and daughter-in-law and her sister and brother-in-law LOVE the eighties. They even gave one of them (can't remember who) an eighties birthday party. They collect eighties memorabilia. Ferris Bueller was my son's favorite movie and enticed him once to skip school for a day. But he got caught and grounded.

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
I was in my 20's in the 80's, so a lot of these movies escaped me - yes, I was an original Monkees fan. Quite a few years ago (whenever Wayne's World came out)I was driving with my young cousins (they were under the age of 10) and Bohemian Rhapsody came on the radio - they couldn't believe I knew the words! Although, I like Ferris Bueller too. But I admit it - I've never seen Pretty in Pink, or Sixteen Candles. But I've seen the Breakfast Club - does that count?

Blogger Mary said...
God, the eighties... I was a heavy metal queen, if you can believe that. Watched MTV for hours on end with big ratted hair that saw entirely TOO much Aquanet. Purple leather pants, leg warmers, Flashdance-ripped tee shirts with sports bras underneath...Oh, and don't forget the pink hightop Reeboks that everyone HAD to have...

Sigh....

I wasn't as into movies as I was music-sad to say, so I don't know the quotes other than the one from Sixteen Candles-which still makes me laugh to this day. :)

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
EVE! you've Never SEEN them? I own them all - watched them all recently in fact. (Love Queen!)

Sandy - LOL that would be fun! I skipped school all the time, never got caught - but there is only so much you can do at the mall on a school day.

Mary - rock on! I was never into music much - not contemporary anyway - movies was my life! (that was pretty much all we did on dad's weekends - the dollar movie house in carrollton knew us by name!)

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
and the answers to the quotes:

“Hello, McFly.” Back to the Future

“Bueller…, Bueller…” Ferris Bueller's Day Off

“Neo maxi zoomed Dweebie.” Breakfast Club

the crane position. Karate Kid

"Chicks can't hold their smoke. That's what it is!" Breakfast Club

"He doesn't even have his license Lisa." Weird Science

"My brother paid a buck to see your underwear at the dance." Sixteen Candles

"I want my two dollars." Better Off Dead

"Just for the record, my name is Ronald. Not Donald." Can't Buy Me Love

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
Well at least I got the Back to the Future and Karate Kid ones. Makes me feel a little better.

Blogger Bailey Stewart said...
Oh, and Ferris, of course - sorry, been a lousy day.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Sorry - hun - you're in my thoughts, you and Devlin!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Looking for information and found it at this great site...
» » »