...when you write? When you get stuck in a particular scene, do you leave yourself a few notes or slog on through said scene even if it takes days or weeks to push foreward?
I have done both before.
(Done both just this week.) Sometimes it’s best to slog through it, but there are times when you need to cheat, when you don’t want to slow your momentum and stare at the screen with a shrug and head scratch while the characters sit dormant.
Atrophy of an H/H is not a pretty sight! Nor are they likely to cooperate from that point on.When I cheat, I will leave a few thoughts or ideas highlighted so I can come back later and tweak before the first round of edits. Maybe something as vague as "add some here" to specific details of what I might be thinking, but is not making it to the screen in a readable, discernable fashion.
Of course you may want to peek back at it so you don’t forget what's going on. Or worse, by the time you type “The End” you may forget what your motivation was. But who knows, maybe if you forget all the crud that held you back at the time, you may have a stronger, better scene than before.
What do you do ... slog or cheat?
Which makes me think of Spellchecker.... is it cheating when you leave it up to your spellchecker? The other night, at my critique meeting, I was writing out my critique and looked all over the paper for the spell check as I have become so accustomed to just hitting the little check mark
(okay so I was tired, it was hour three of the meeting and my brain was low on caffeine) and not putting forth an concerted effort to do it correctly the first time - which drives my ex-teaching-English-major-mother crazy. I do believe she critisized, er, ah, commented recently of my lazy writing
(but that is a whole 'nother topic for a whole 'nother day!).
A lot of the time though I find that the characters themselves dictate how a scene will play out and, as such, the narrative flows much easier. It does also mean that I'm more likely to end up with three thousand words instead of the two thousand I'd hoped for, but that's what editing is for.
Otherwise I simply walk away for a while. If the story isn't doing it for me as I'm writing it then that will probably come across to someone reading it. Re-read, revise, and then, when the juices are really flowing again, hit the trail and watch those fingers fly on the keyboard.
Eve, Bernita, and Tsavo as long as we're writing Cheat or slog just keep the keys tapping
My new mantra, that I am going to have printed for each child o' mine
"If the keys are a tapping, don't come a yapping!"
I swear the moment I get my momentum a demon spawn, er, ah sweet child o' mine comes asking for something that 99% of the time they could have done themselves!!!
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
I cheat but I try not to cheat in big ways. Sometimes I'll highlight stuff/sentences to go back to and then sometimes I Put something in brackets (IE If I need a name brand of jeans but don't want to use say Lucky because I've used it a couple times already) so I can go look up what I need and come back. Or I'll leave little bubble notes for stuff like "research cuban food" etc........
Then I can go back, search out all my BLNKS and fix whatever it is when I'm either in the mood-or know what I'm talking about. Sometimes a small thing like a name, a date, research item, etc. Sometimes not-motivational issues, internal, etc. I'll usually take a break at that point. Make some tea, light some peppermint candles-somewhere I read they were supposed to rejuvinate the writing mind. I think the break is what works more, but the candles smell nice. :)
I usually don't skip scenes, but occasionally-I'll do something like type: LOVE SCENE HERE. And then come back when I was in the mood to write one.
Love the tapping quote! Mine was don't bother me unless it involves BLOOD SMOKE OR FIRE. And I don't even have kids! Really bad when you have to use that for a husband-who SHOULD have sense enough not to bother you...
Cece - you may use my new mantra! Paste it up on your door!
Savannah - I got your pen back in the mail again- they ripped the envelope and stuck a sticker on there that says "mail it in a padded envelope" - most of the others made it - to Canada even - can't imagine why this one didn't - but I shall try again!
The PO is making me PO'd - LOL!
I love it...you should add unless your brother's head is on fire like a Teki torch!
I once used the second line and had someone accuse of of cruelty to children...wt*! LOL