Wednesday, February 08, 2006
I got the music in me
Recently (okay maybe a couple of weeks) on Jill Shalvis' blog she asked about what music we listen to when when we write. I stopped to think about that. I have to say when it comes to music I am a little on the have-no-clue side - okay a lot... I will admit (have you ever noticed that I admit to a lot on here - sheesh) Anyhoo - I digress...

I am curious what type of music people listen too. What are the last CDs you bought? As for me, I got Bo Bice for Christmas - Love BO!






And I bought the Pride and Prejudice CD - so good!





In October I got Chris Cagle - other than that it has been a while since I purchased any.



I tend to listen to them over and over until the boys know the words by heart - Spare can sing any of the Bo songs all the way through - though he'd rather hear the DH's Green Day CD - like that will EVER happen.

When I recently edited a book from a while back - I popped the CD in that I listened to when I wrote to - it helped to evoke the memories and feelings that I experienced back then (four years ago). Music can be such a useful tool in writing.

6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I don't purchase a lot of CD's for myself - usually for mom and they would be big band or people singing songs from that era (i.e. Harry Connick Jr.). The last CD I purchased for myself was Bo's. I did bring home a couple of CD's from my bookstore - Celtic music. That's what I usually write by - instrumentals of songs that either have no words or I don't know the words to them - words often get in the way unless its something that adds to what I'm writing. I have burned CD's for that - love songs for love scenes, etc.

Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...
I like Celtic-type, new-agey type instrumental music. It melts into the background and doesn't distract.

I am EASILY distracted. I can't write and listen to lyrics at the same time.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
You know I have been thinking about getting a Celtic CD - any suggestions to a good one for a starter?

Blogger Savannah Jordan said...
I have Bo's album on MP3 in my pc. You've got to love a man with rock and roll in his soul and a velvet smooth voice. *sigh*

However, I have currently been banging the keyboard's the Nickelback's newest album. :) Woot!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I use music a LOT to help me get in the groove of whatever I'm writing. If I want a lot of energy in the prose, I listen to hard rock or blues-rock (think Stevie Ray Vaughn etc), and the newest piece I've been working on has wanted country music as the background. I don't know why. I don't have any country except some OLD Garth & Lonestar, so I've been listening to country radio & there's a good link for music on msn: http://radio.msn.com. You can find anything there! Cheaper than CDs!
But what I'm listening to in the car is 3 Doors Down. What can I say, I have eclectic taste in music.

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
THere's a soundtrack from a movie I wanted but i'll be darned if I can remember what it was. I LOVE writing to movie soundtracks--instrumental. Words distract me too much. I have the one to "Friday Night LIghts" which is just amazing! And I have a new age violin thing and i'm really digging Spanish Guitar--classical.

But wait what was the question? Lately I've bought the new Chris CD (yes finally), Maroon 5 (I think it's live) and Cross Canadian Ragweed. Bougth the new Gary Allan CD when it first came out but honestly I haven't bought much lately. I Find more and more I like downloading music and making my own.