Thursday, February 23, 2006
Gifted & Talented = Bored & Forgetful

My child… what can I say about my eldest boy that I haven’t already lamented over? He’s almost reached my meager height. Has finally succumbed to his mother’s ranting over his hair and gotten a hair cut. Now… now it seems he has fallen back into his “Don’t wanna do my homework,” slump.

 

The school has just instituted an online grades system so I can check up on his grades, much to his chagrin and Gameboy playing detriment. I can pop online (when I can get online) and see that he hasn’t turned in 8 (yes that is the number between 7 and 9) of his assignments in the last few days and is now pulling grades that would make his brothers laugh and jeer. (and they have!)

 

He gets so bored, so easily. They had state math tests on Tuesday. The child finished at 10:30 a.m. most of the rest of the class finished around two – sheesh. And Friday last, they took a different math test. He scored the highest in his class.

 

What to do. What to do.

 

He recently quit Scouts – he advanced to Boy Scouts from Cub Scouts and missed the first meeting – my fault, I forgot – it was at a different time. Then decided he didn’t want to continue after all as it is a self-paced, self-recorded progression. He didn’t want to do it. I didn’t mind so much, he had expressed interest in signing up for band – though he was supposed to go and audition the different instruments to see what he like and felt comfortable with. Well… said tall child of mine informs me last night he doesn’t think he’s interested in that either.

 

Hmm… I’m gonna have to figure out something for him to do – otherwise he’s gonna drive everyone nuts.

 

First order of business – GET THOSE GRADES UP – and since he has been grounded from everything electronic, he will work on it pretty quick.

 

Note: the harshest punishment (according to him) was when he was grounded from the remote control – can you imagine a tall child being subjected to Blues Clues and Dora the Explorer? Often and repeatedly. Who knew that channel surfing and reading the stupid guide was an inherited gene and not a learned trait.

 

15 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hmmm, wish I had an answer. Those years are so hard to handle.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
i am winging it... LOL we'll see who has the fortitude to get what they want - but I am guessing it's me - I have a long range goal of gettting his butt out of the house and on his own so he doesn't live at home at 27 (that'd be my brother - LOL!)

and yes, there is a dif when child is helping/caring for parent - which is not this case (Good thing he never reads this) LOL

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
BLess you honey, I'm about to beat #1's lazy, little, not-trying, snot-nosed, mouthy ass. How can an Ass beMouthy? I have no clue but it is........

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
You know what really pisses me off -- he's G & T too Eve FWIW) is that he cheats at games with his brother because he needs to win so bad. And he thinks this is no big deal GRRRRRRRRRRR

He's has no interest in exerting any effort in anything that's not easy (including some of his homework)

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Cece - man, I feel you're pain... Heir isn't a mouhy one luckliy - but Spare is... I can't win in this house - at all.

Took the kids on a Cub Scouts field trip today and had to drag Mini-me around by his shirt - running herd on this group of boys would surely gray a non-Miss Clairol gal - LOL!

Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...
I think it's a boy thing. My youngest would do the assignments if he thought they were interesting enough, and then he'd forget to turn them in. He was failing a couple of classes!

We went through his books and found all the missing assignments. Oy! I wanted to strangle him!

Taking away the electronics is the best motivator in the world.

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
God bless you is all I can say...My son is now 36 years old and living in Florida...I don't remember the wonder years....actually that's a lit..I do...but it provokes me to drink wine when I think about them!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
(Cece too) Well, my brother is a mensa genius - and he pulled "C's" in school. He was just bored. He went on to college and got a degree and just retired from a managerial position with SBC. Maybe things will even out - if they live that long :)

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Eve - I am not sure if that makes me feel better or not - LOL!

Bonnie (east coast) - I haven't cracked open a bottle yet - and if I do , it might on the boys head - we just went over his stuff and I get "Uh, well... I forgot." Sheesh!

Bonnie (west coast) - If it is a boy thing, His brothers don't seem to have it yet - SPare is so dern competitive that I don't he could *NOT* turn in his work - he has to be first! (good or not sometimes - LOL!)

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
that should read, "I don't think he could *NOT*..."

where's my proof-reader?!?!?!?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Bebo's pen arrived today. Notice I said Bebo's pen ... I'm beginning to get paranoid :P

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
I SWEAR I SENT IT - I am gonna have to call the PO - They sent it - it was in a bubble mailer and the PO lady put the postage on herslef - I saw it! I have the receipt - already wrote it up in marketing expense for next year's Taxes =)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Uh huh! Yep! It's all of that fog.

I've mailed books to Canada and they've arrived already LOL

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
Wren I totally agree.....Eve I'm not sure that makes me feel any better LOL j/k but thank you. It's incredibly frustrating. BTW We got report cards yesterday. It's not so much that he brings home b's and c's as he doens't put any effort into it that bothers me.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
eve - maybe Bebo will let you borrow her pen - {snort} - LOL!

We've a maylay (sp) of kid stuff today so I have a few moments to blog but didn't get to the PO in time 0 but Monday - swear! I will mail you a few more too juts to make sure you get a couple...