Friday, January 13, 2006
Huh, say again...
I have never professed to be an overly brilliant person. I am not a slacker in the mental department either. But I have these, "huh?" moments where smile and nod and hope to God they don't ask me to repeat what they just said (which I do to my children all the time - so I know how heinous that is!) or I shake my head and re-read whatever I just read and shake my head again as I am totally lost.

When the boys are going on and on . . and on about their Yu-gi-oh or Zatch Bell cards I am not expected to understand whatever it is they are saying - which is a darn good thing. But when I am in a conversation with other adults and fight the urge to scrunch my nose and scratch my head - it makes me wonder, "What is wrong with me?"

I will admit, I tend to only half-listen most of the time, so that is probably as big a factor as anything. My mind tends to wander to that next book I am plotting or a deadline zooming in. With stuff I am reading, same thing. There are blogs I tend to read with regularity and then there are the ones I look at every so and so 'cause half the time - I don't' get it. Again - like listening, I tend to skim and only get half of the post.

I am sorry I have a mind that wanders. I have tried to curb that, tried to stay focused, but then . . . Did you read Cece's book - posted in my "What I am reading" Great book! - oops there I go again - off on a tangent.

A segue - but still on topic - sort of....

On Jill Shalvis's blog she asked what we listen to when we write and most folks listed CD's with no or unintelligible words - I am just the opposite. I need the songs I know and love for when I get stuck in a place in the book I can sit back and let my mind fade out of the book and into words I can sing in my sleep and then re-focus and get back to the book. I just now realized it is also like a tether that holds me in place - when my mind wanders , it hears words I know inside and out (I listen to one CD only per book so the words are embedded in my children's brains!) and grabs my attention, I listen for a bit and then snap out of it and back to where it is supposed to be.




Current book - in edit stages
Current CD - Bo Bice's The Real Thing
12 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm sorry, my mind wandered while waiting for this window to pop up. *g*

I just bought The Real Thing this weekend - I also love Bo.

Lyrics vs. music depends on just what I'm working on at the moment. If I'm doing a love scene, then there's nothing like Etta James' At Last to set the mood. But most of the time I have to concentrate on those voices and words get in the way. Yes, the voices - and they've been yelling at me lately because I haven't been writing =:0

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Bice - It is the BEST! My boys know more words than I do now - LOL! - we listened to it on the way to and from soccer yesterday and Spare sang more than me - of course, I was driving - and he's shorter and the passer-byers can't see him doing it =)

When I write a love scene - I have to have total quiet (don't ask my why - I have no clue)
and the kids out of the house ;-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Aren't we so Freudian - you have to have the kids out of the house to write a love scene and I get nervous because my mother is in the next room - geesh!

Have to get the CD transferred to tape so I can listen to it in the car. Isn't it strange, but I don't listen to music a lot unless I'm writing?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Have you ever had one of those blog days where you couldn't think of anything to write about so you post a rather lame excuse for a blog entry hoping that no one "new" would come by, and then on the days where everything is coming together and the blog is perfect no one new stops in? Thanks for stopping by *g* We're a good group - you'll recognize a lot of people from Jill's blog there.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
There are no lame entries - just ... well, hmm - not sure what - but as long as you post right?!?! =)

I am a blog-hopper extraordinaire so I shall see you here and there . . .

Blogger Tsavo Leone said...
Well, totally out of left field (then again, being as it's me, probably not), I have a tendancy towards:

Nine Inch Nails (a little ambient, a little aggressive, a little noisy, a lot of fun);

Slipknot (very aggressive, very noisy, lots and lots of fun);

System Of A Down (the musical equivalent of Tigger, in a Heavy Metal kind of way);

theSTART (female-fronted new wave pop rock).

And on a really bad writing day I listen to Eminem.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Well, mostly, I listen to country. I got hooked in 91 and pretty much haven't strayed. (But have BO BICE and Matchbox 20 - my R&R CD's)

Though in high school I loved Depeche Mode, and the likes - an ex got me in that, but {blushing slightly} in 6th grade - it was Menudo all the way - and for those not versed in latino music; Menudo is where Ricky Martin got his start - 'nuff said =)

But I will admit - I am not very musically literate - my kids know more than I - one day heir was singing and I asked what it was and his dad says, "AC/DC." Well, color me SURPRISED - though I found out later that it was on one of their video games - but still...

(I did just get a Green Day CD)

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
Auh, Eve...Etta James is definitely the way to go!

Geez T. how can you concentrate with that music.

And Bo Bice...wahoooo...And he's not bad to look at either!

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
nope not at all.....

Blogger Tsavo Leone said...
Well, aside from feverishly/spontaneously air-drumming to the blast-beats in some of Slipknot's songs on occasion, and the desire to growl along with some of the lyrics, it's fairly easy for me to write alongside of the music I listen to. It was a trifle more difficult when my most-recent-ex was living with me due to our divergent musical tastes (I had to leave the room on more than one occassion).

Besides, I used to play the guitar (and the bass, and the drums, and the piano (badly, I hasten to add), and I used to sing) so the whole writing/listening to nasty music thing is kind of like driving a car for me: it just happens naturally, organically... although I'll never have to worry about the ramifications of speeding whilst listening to Slayer/Megadeth and trying to write at the same time (Thrash Metal: music to crash your car to!).

And now I have a jones for some old-school stuff. Excuse me while I break open the Neil Diamond records...

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
You . . . Neil Diamond -

Blogger Amie Stuart said...
I LURVE Etta! thanks for the plug babe =)