Do you know that person that is always the first to show up for a party? First to be at a meeting? First to comment on your blog? Well, hello {
Dennie waves} , that would be me.
In 1990 I worked (Imagine - me with a job) at a shoe store. I was the assistant manager in fact. And I was constantly, habitually late. No reason behind it other than I didn't take the time to be on time. Now keep in mind I was still in my teens and although it was a full time job that many of my co-workers held to support their families, I never considered it as such. It was something to do and I made spending cash (which I spent!).
One day the district manager, whose office was in the back of my store (no I never said I was bright) pulled me aside and offered me two dollars for every time I could be on time. That made me feel horrible. I don't know why that one comment (and truthfully a near death experience - though that is less eventful than it might sound yet just as impactful - that freaked me out - that happened at the same time) triggered a complete turn around in me.
Now, my standards of promptness have changed to, "If I am not ten minutes early, then I am late."
Invited to a party - I am usually the first to show up even if I am dead-on on time (other people . . . well let's not go into their reason!). At meetings - I often find myself sitting on steps somewhere while I wait for the person with the keys to show up and let me in 'cause no one else has keys and everyone but me went to dinner so they are all together and taking their own sweet time 'cause it's the last Tuesday meeting of the year and not many people are expected to show other than the exiting president and the incoming president to hand over said keys, so there is really no need to hurry and like I said they are all at dinner together and it's not all that cold that evening to be sitting alone on the steps, in the dark, at an empty building, on the semi-deserted, due-to-the-time-of-the-year, recreation compound - wooooo - not that it affected me much mind you =)
And that bleeds over into all aspects of my life. I have found that it goes to even something as not on topic as blogs. Often, I find posts and no one has commented. I feel weird about being the first to do it sometimes, so I will wait an hour or two until someone else has commented. (I have never denied being weird - so deal with it =) okay?!?) Some times this means that my witty comment has been used already or the point has been belabored to death and I cannot/will not add to it. But know - I saw it first, okay - I checked it out, first. (did I mention I have issues?).
I suppose that every person should have some thing that they excel at and for me promptness seems to be in my top ten list. There are worst things, I guess, so . . . . .
*Note - this same district manager also did this to me two years later about my complaining. Apparently, it was a little much for her (by then I had my own store at a different location - so it must have really been bad if it bothered her on an odd or so visit enough to comment on). That bribe didn't take, work or impact me, however, at all. For those who have known me for a while you can put down your hand and stop nodding - we get the point! I like to complain. But, it does make a girl wonder. . . .
I'm habitually early because I was late all the time as a kid. Late is my pet peeve. Sometimes I tell my family, as I'm rushing them out doors, that I probably need therapy. :-) There was just something really BAD about walking into church, school programs, the dr.'s office, etc. late. Sometimes WAY late.
fwiw, I always appreciate your comments! :-)
If I get to be first, it's like yea...virgin soil!
Actually I love being first. It's like a blank canvas that I get to splatter my words on.
Marybeth - therpy can be good! I'll be first in line - ha! glad to chat w/ you!
M.C. Bonnie ~ I like being first, too, I like being the first to tell someone how witty - or wrong ;-) they are but I feel weird when I do it a coupla days in a row!
I know about the kids slowing you down - but other than the 4yo, I have the others whipped into shape - they are usualy waiting by the door for me when I am ready - they have this strange competitive thing going where they have to be first to get to the van - can't imagine where they get that from =)