Hi. My name is Denise. I am a shop-a-holic.
There. I can say it. Isn't that one of the twelve steps if you have a problem? Like the first or something?
But before you start shaking your head and tsking at me ... let me explain. I am not your typical shop-a-holic. No. I have actually managed to curb most of my passion for purchases. No more shoes that sit dusty in my closet. No more shirts that still have tags and may or may not fit. I am a reformed 80% off girl. =)
(although if the boys need something akin to clothing I tend to buy 4 or 5 at a time - it's a hording mentaliity that I am now trying desperatley to overcome - but I digress)
HOWEVER: I love - beyond a normal, reasonable level of euphoria - grocery shopping. When I come home all pumped at getting a weeks worth of meals I am floating. I am sure that is not normal, but it is a high that I cannot explain. And the boys need to eat, so I get to do it often as they eat A LOT. I take far too much pleasure in buying the stuff the boys like to eat and they are not always easy to please. Inevitably one of the four will not like what the other three do and I am far too big a push-over to let them go hungry and teach them a lesson. Don't get me wrong. We have meals that, "If you don't want it you're welcome to sit in the other room or go to bed." I am NOT a short order cook. But I do tend to tailor the meals to their liking.

They never have to eat Brussel sprouts - though I actually like them. Or Spaghetti squash - though I have considered trying to make it like my mom did. I hated it as a kid but have been hankering for it now - don't know why. NEVER will I purchase liver. I don't care that heir and I are iron poor - that's what vitamins are for!
Just this morning I ran out to the store. Mini-me has gotten my cold and, as is their fashion, gotten it worse, so I had to buy some Sprite for the lad. At the store, I remembered the boys are out all week (and the next, plus a day - dont' know why the extra day... but I digress again) and I need to have adequate nourishment or they tend to get pissy. A full shopping cart and sixteen sacks later, I am still buzzing from the high.
I knew I was weird. I just thought I might admit it once and for all to the world. There much better....
(round of applause from the other members of the group).
That has to rate as one of the strangest forms of retail therapy I've ever come across. Do you get an extra buzz off of the 'buy one get one free' offers or the '3-4-2's that certain stores do? Heck, you go out for Sprite and come back with enough food to see the family well in to next year... and I thought I was bad, going out to get catfood and coming back with a full meal for myself!
In all seriousness though, I don't think it's a bad thing. Apparently, you get a buzz from 'looking after' your family. What can be better than that?
I think some of it is a power thing too. The food in the house is about the onlything I totally control. I buy the boys clothes, sure, but I have no control over how they wear it or if they cut holes in every freaking shirt they own - that would be spare to the throne - a 9yo w/ scissors can be scary!
And when they are at school forgetaboutit...
I am gonna die when they get in high school and eat - if they're anything like my brothers...I am soooo screwed! =)