Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Happy Christmas and happy-sad memories
I hope every one is having a Happy Christmas time.

I went shopping today - and my feet hurt! I went to three different stores, one twice as I had to return the birthday gift for the heir to the throne as the mom-in-law bought the same thing. Great minds I guess! I still haven't gotten anything to replace it yet. It must suck to have your birthday so close to Christmas, though he has never complained.

Today is a sad day though, it is the anniversary of when my granddad died two years ago. I have thought about him many times today and since my grandmother passed away this past July it seems even sadder. They were both special to me - not that all grandparents aren't, but as a child I saw them about every other weekend until I was six. After that it seems like we saw them every couple of months and I would spend some of the summer with them until I graduated high school. And even then I called often and wrote letters and saw them at holidays and special occasions.

It was really hard having my granddad die just before Christmas (and have his funeral on the heir's b-day). But as we all had a chance to say goodbye even though he was in a coma it was some relief. Had the hospital not headed the DNR - do not resisitate - we wouldn't have had that chance - so we had a early Chirstmas sort-of miracle I suppose since the family all got to be there when he was in the hospital, to say good-byes and then at the funeral. It was a time when we got to share stories of him when we were growing up - Did you know I was the only one of the eight grandkids that he ever spanked. I mean, I wouldn't have poured my ice down that lady's shirt at the rodeo has she sat still. It wasn't my fault her beehive was too high for a five-year-old to see over, was it?

I often can still here the way he scolded us like one of his horses ... hannnn (more a sound than a word) and I find myself doing it to the boys every so often. He was so proud of all his grandkids and his great-grandkids.

I hope all children can have grandparents that love them and can love back like I had! My New Jersey grandparents were special too but I rarely got to see them growing up. That I do feel like I missed out on a bunch. With just my Grandma left up in West Paterson, I wish we could get up there more so she could see the boys grow - but it is so darn far!

Remember to hug you grandparents, grandkids or even a Curmudgeonly neighbor that might need some holiday cheer!
10 Comments:
Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...
Dear Dennie, that's good advice!

Isn't that funny how you still use your grandpa's "hannn" noise! My dad's been gone 14 years now, but I use his expressions all the time. It's a good way to keep our loved ones close to our hearts.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
I have stuff from my granparents house all over mine. I bought him a cowboy statue for his birthday one year and it sits next to my TV so I see it all day everyday (not that I watch that much TV no siree-bob - it's just, ah, the family gathering place - yeah that's it!). And a horse pic my mom made out of copper wire and nails hangs withinin constant eye reach.

I have both their coffee mugs in the cabinet so every time I get a plate out for the boys I see them and get teary (every dern time! - And you know how much boys eat!) It helps me feel closer to my grandparents.

Blogger Tsavo Leone said...
My mother once told me that a person dies three deaths: their physical death, the death of their contemporaries, and the death of their memory.

If that holds true then I'm damned sure neither of my grandfathers will lose their place in this world until I lose mine.

It's strange, but after reading your post I suddenly feel guilty all over again.

I used to drive passed my paternal grandfather's house sometimes on the way home from rehearsing with my band. I did that one day and thought to myself "hey, maybe I should pop in and say hi," but never did... next day my aunt rang to say he'd died the previous day... that's always kind of messed with my head, and I've carried that around with me for about twelve years.

My maternal grandfather lived about an hour and a half away from where I live now. There was always an open invite to go and stay for a weekend, but I never took him up on it. My then-girlfriend (who he really wanted to meet) had been talking over the weekend about why I should maybe go and see some of my mum's family, having not done so in so long... Wednesday morning I get the call from my mum to let me know her father had passed away. That was about six/seven years ago.

Needless to say, I attend every family gathering I can these days, but I'm a very differe human being now to the one I was back then.

I've got a lot of fond and/or sorrowful memories of both men, and there are faint reminders of both of them around me almost all of the time. I'm sitting here typing this and I'm getting misty eyed about it, so I guess I miss them both a hell of a lot more than I realised even though I never really made the effort to get to know either of them. But I remember their names, their voices, and a few more things besides, and as long as I remember them then they're never really gone.

Oh, just for the record, there's also a ring through my left ear for each of them.

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Tsavo - Your Mom sounds like a smart lady! I am glad it touched you. I will admit I cried at the end when I was writing it until one of the kids looked over at me and made a face. kids, sheesh!

I don't know if you can tell from my posts - but I am usually sarcastic or joking (not when commenting on yours - but when I write about me - I swear!) It is a total defense mechanism on my part - but yesterday I just missed him so much - getting misty myself now - that I wanted to pay him a little tribute. I can be serious when need be. And I love that man more than words could ever say and know it was totaly mutual!

The day he died - I was coming home from taking # 3 to pre-school and as I sat at a light, I started to cry for no reason - later I found out that was almost the EXACT moment (I can pin it to within 15 minutes) he went into the coma - freaky!

Don't feel bad though just use it to remember - not that I am one to give advise. Like I said my grandmother in New Jersey hardly ever hears from me - I can create my own guilt trip!

I think the earrings are cool!

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...
So why don't you call the grandma in Jersey or send her a bunch of pictures of you and the kids. no time like the present. don't make that, a shoulda', coulda' woulda'

When I was little my grandma told me that she would never be gone if I kept her in my heart....I do!

Mmmmm...having the distinction of being the only one he spanked.....what a surprise :-)

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Uh - yeah I could - but I don't have her phone number (I wish this thing had emoticons - there would be an embarrassed face here). I lost it in the great computer crash of 9/05. I will send her one of the scarves I made for Chirstmas though. She can't see so the pics are no good. She has Macular Degineration (sp?)

We were going to try to go up there for this Christmas then spare got signed up for soccer.

Yeah, yeah - more excuses, I know.

Blogger Sandy J said...
Hugs to you on the anniversary! Keep those memories close to your heart!

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
Thanks hun - love you!

Blogger M. C. Pearson said...
That was a lovely memory post even if you were so very sad. I loved it and thank you for posting it. None of my grandparents are still living but my husband has one. She is on the other side of the country though. :-( Thanks for the advice...I'll have my kids hug my parents this week!

Blogger Denise McDonald said...
M.C. I am glad you liked it. He was a special man!