Four kids, two dogs, one editing-like-crazy-mom then whamo - no electricity!
Did I mention ARGH!
And yes before you ask - I paid the electric bill. We had this conversation, well not me but the boys, when the electiricy went off.
Spare - "Did you pay the bill, mom?" (keep in mind - it has NEVER been turned of for lack of payment in ANY of their lifetimes or ever since I had a job and paid for electricity for that matter)
Spare + 1 - "Yes, she paid the bill, we took it just last week."
I just had to stand by and laugh - ye have little faith in the woman who managed to carry and birth four bruising young men!
Spare + 1 runs through house screaming "power surge, power surge". I have no clue as to what that means. I shake my head, close down my computer as the battery only has enough juice for 30 miunutes and I didn't want to get caught in the middle of a page and have to quit, calmly pick up my knitting needles and finish a Christmas scarf.
Heir to the throne - who is in his third year as a Cub Scout - sits on the sofa, hands to head. "We can't eat. The Microwave won't work (why'd he pick that first?) The oven won't work. There's no electricity to cook the food."
Mom - "We can have sandwhiches."
Heir - "but you said we couldn't open the fridge. Cold air out and all..."
Mom - Evil grin rolls across my face - "peanut butter."
Heir - "ugh."
The spare meanwhile is writhing in the middle of the family room floor. "Need air can't breathe."
Mom - "the electricty doesn't affect the air you breathe."
Spare - "Are you sure? It's getting harder to breathe."
Spare + 1 - "Yeah, mom, can't breathe."
Mom - shakes head - "Give me a break guys."
Heir - "does the toilet work w/ no electriity?"
Mom - "Yes."
Heir - "but I can't do it in the dark."
Mom - major eye roll here - "Then hold it."
Spare + 2 (aka mini-me) - "My feet are told (cold) you find my lippers (slippers)?"
Mom - "Sure hun, here ya go. One Grinch. One Blues Clues - I can't find the others in the dark."
Spare + 2 (aka mini-me) - "Tay (okay)."
Spare - "I think the dog is scared."
Mom - "no she's just laughing at you crazy kids."
One hour, two coniptions, three trips to the potty and half a scarf later - voila - we have power and a funny story to tell my future daughter-in-laws!
ROFLOL...I live in what we affectionately call Hooterville. Our power goes out on such a regular basis that we bought a generator three years ago.
The only problem here is you can't flush the toilet, our well doesn't have it's own circuit to put it on the generator, yet!
Bonnie - Oh my they'd have had a fit w/o the potty! Several blocks were out and I swear the kids tried to figure out what I did to cause it!
M.G's right. Kids are better than TV.
And everything is grist for the mill - nothing is ever too traumatic when you're a writer, 'cause you always figure you can use it.