Monday, November 07, 2005
It always amazes me...
...when I get soooo excited about writing.

I have been working hard on this Nanowrimo (and to recap for those who haven't been reading my blog with enough regularity to know what that stands for - shame on you! - National Novel Writing Month) book. I have been more than lax in writing the last year. And when I finally got a story that really energized me the other computer crashed - losing said book.

But I found the challenge of Nanowrimo too enticing to resist, plus my fellow Rosebuds and some of the TWW folks were doing it, so I jumped on the word band wagon.

Without computer troubles and kids screaming constantly, writers, such as myself, can have intetnal hurdles as well. We have doubts. And I'm not talking about puny, "well maybe this is okay" doubts. We're talkin' whopper doubts. "I suck as a writer." "I don't know why I even bother trying to write." to "No one would read this crap" (oops that'll cost me a quarter in the 'crap jar' at home - darn make that two quarters - I digress). Writers are the biggest critic of they own work. And I am so typical in this self-disparaging attitude!

So when I get in a super rhythm and the stars seem to align to bring all the right elements of a story together I want to shout, "Yea!". Then when I find things out about characters I didn't know and the book practically writes itself, I'm giddy with verbal euphoria. Then the story just flows unimpeded. YIPPEE! And like I said in the beginning, it still amazes me when one sentence flows to two, then to three and before you know it, you have a story fleshed out and four chapters underway for the Nano-contest (yeppa - four entire chapters! Oh and over 12,500 words - not to brag or anything unless it sounds like braggin then I am doing it only in a good way 'cause I haven't written so much in a long time =) sorry over explaining again).

I love being a writer!

P.S. - it doesn't hurt that I am so very competitive! (the spare to the throne gets that from me in a big way!) Not only do I want to be in the front of the race, I want to be in front by yards. So this is fun in a self-competition as well as a Rosebud competition. What motivation!
3 Comments:
Blogger Sandy J said...
You crack me up! Love this post. Love to see you happy and energized. Hate this d*#@ NaNo hell. What was I thinking??? But proud that you have so much done. You really rock, girlfriend! I'm still not giving up so don't you be slacking any, LOL!

Blogger Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...
I enjoyed your post, Dennie! I think joining Nanowrimo is a super idea for writers at any level. I decided not to take the plunge this time around because I’m already in the middle of two manuscripts and I guess that wouldn’t be playing fair. ;-)

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. Nice “meeting” you! :-D

Blogger Wynn Bexton said...
Yes, we are all alike in so many respects...One thing I must say is I am intrigued and impressed by you folk who enter the Nano contest. Such discipline!